Hackathon | Our World In Crisis | UCL Engineering Welcome Festival 2022
27 September 2022–02 October 2022, 5:00 pm–5:00 pm
UCL Induction Week’s Meet and Ideate Online Hackathon with IFRC Red Cross, UN,Oxfam, Microsoft, IBM, Intel and NTTDATA. A chance for you to meet fellow new students from across the University, and work collaboratively to share ideas using online tools, to make a pitch video of your best idea for major charities. This is a meet and greet exercise (non-assessed) for all students, whilst also learning to use UCL approved collaborative technologies.
This event is free.
- UCL students
Dean Mohamedally and Graham Roberts
- This event is open to all new UCL undergraduate and postgraduate students, including postgraduate research students, beginning their studies in September 2022.
- The live online introduction session for all students takes place on Tuesday 27th September from 5pm - 6.30pm, online drop-in sessions will run throughout Thursday 30th, and final submission is at 5pm UK time on Sunday 2nd Oct.
- Want to get to know your fellow new students from across UCL, plus learn how to work collaboratively and share ideas using online tools?
- Join the Our World In Crisis Hackathon, organised by UCL Computer Science as part of UCL Engineering's Welcome Festival, and you and your team will work together to make a pitch video of your best idea for major charities.
- Throughout the week, you'll get to hear from senior speakers from some of the world's most innovative companies
- This is an elected optional activity, for your benefit to get to know others and to experience online collaboration with UCL standard tools and processes. You will be working on a meaningful and engaging topic to create a short video of ideas, as an interdisciplinary assigned team (assignment questions can be sent through the Moodle chat forum).
Apart from the launch session, you should set aside 6-7 hours of your time between Tuesday 27 September and Sunday 2 October, to work with your team on this online-only activity, and to get used to the tools. At the end of this activity you will be familiar with UCL approved tools and online accounts, practical approaches for group working, and hopefully will have made great new friends in the process!
- If you are interested in taking part in the Hackathon, register as soon as possible, before Tuesday 27th September 2022.
Online introduction webinar with Charities and Industry
5pm to 6:50pm UK time on Tuesday 27 September 2022.
- Students will be working in teams of 10, allocated Wednesday 28th September 2022.
- Industry sessions to discuss ideas, Thursday 29th September 2022.
Submission of project idea (MediaCentral uploaded videos on Moodle)
- 5pm UK time Sunday 2 October 2022.
- Moodle Hackathon page
Image: ActionVance via Unsplash
Other events in this series