Prof John Mitchell
Professor of Communication Systems Engineering
Dept of Electronic & Electrical Eng
Faculty of Engineering Science
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2000
Research areas of interest include:
- Radio-over-fibre systems for future mobile communications systems and fixed wireless access network platforms.
- Next generation optical access networks, including WDM and Long Reach PON.
- Wireless Sensor network hardware, physical layer and MAC layer issues.
- Noise and interference effects in high capacity WDM optical networks
- Director of the Integrated Engineering Programme (from March 2012- May 2016)
- Member of UCL Education Committee 2010-2016
- UCL Teaching and Learning Support Sub-committee 2009-2010
- Vice-Provost (Education)’s Task force on Innovation in Teaching and Learning 2012-2015
- Learning and Teaching Information Services Governance Group 2012-
- Member of the UCL Internal Quality Review (IQR) team, 2013
- Chair of the Online Media Project Board, 2009-
- Led the implementation of Problem Based Learning and Scenarios in the undergraduate curriculum. For further details see http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/undergraduate/pbl
- Winner of the 2010 Provost Teaching Award
- Postgraduate Tutor (Taught)
- Director of the Communications for Industry Programme.
- ELEC1011 Paper 7 / ELEC1009 Communications Systems I (First year)
- ELEC3001 Communications Systems II (3rd Year)
- Introduction to Telecommunication Networks (ITN)
- Broadband Technoloiges and Components (BTC)- Module Owner
- Communications Systems Modelling (CSM)
- Mobile Communications Systems (MCS)
- Next Generation Networks (NGN) - Module Owner
- Network Planning and Performance
- Other Postgraduate qualification (including professional), ATQ09 - Other UK accreditation or qualification in teaching in the higher education sector |
- Other Postgraduate qualification (including professional), ATQ03 - Recognised by the HEA as a Fellow |
- Institute of Education
- Other higher degree, Master of Arts | 2016
- Institution of Electrical Engineers
- First Degree, Chartered Engineer | 2005
- University College London
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 2000
- University College London
- First Degree, Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) | 1996
John Mitchell received the B.Eng. and Ph.D. degrees in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from UCL (University College London), UK in 1996 and 2000, respectively. In 1999 he became a research fellow in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at UCL, becoming a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Telecommunications in September 2000 and 2006 respectively. In 2015 he was promoted to Professor of Communications Systems Engineering. He currently holds the role of Vice-Dean Education in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences, UCL.
Between 2003 and 2007 he was involved in a IET and HEFCE funded project to introduce Problem Based Learning into the Electronic Engineering Curriculum. Since he has led a group within the department that has introduced Scenario Based Learning into the 1st and 2nd years of the programme. He also been involved in the UCL LectureCast project to introduce a UCL wide lecture capture system and is Chair of the UCL Online-Media Board. In 2010 in received the UCL Provost's Teaching Award.
From March 2012 until May 2016 he was seconded from the Department to the Engineering Faculty Office to take the post of Director the Integrated Engineering Programme (IEP). The IEP is a curriculum development project which aimed to develop a common structure for Undergraduate teaching across the faculty.
His research interests include optical access technologies, the transport of microwave and millimetre wave radio signals over optical fibre for communications, and wireless sensor networks. Professor Mitchell is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers and Technology (IET) and a Senior Member of the IEEE and Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.