The EIL prides itself on its record and ability to work effectively with industry. This includes partnership in TSB and European funded projects, directly funded research and consultancy.
UCL offers 3-year Ph.D. Impact Studentships for working with industry at half the full cost (£10,850 per year, students must be UK or EU nationals only).
- RESOURCE AND PUBLICATIONS
EIL researchers publish very actively in leading journals and present at international conferences. Click below for details of our publications and view our image gallery.
The EIL offers excellent opportunities for Ph.D. and M.Sc. research across a broad range of areas.
The EIL has an outstanding academic team with world-class experimental and computational facilities. By definition, every Ph.D. is unique and different; however, every Ph.D. in the EIL will deliver the following:
- Development of a strong theoretical background and expertise is cutting-edge methods and techniques.
- Offer projects that tackle modern and highly relevant global challenges using novel, exciting approaches.
- Develop the whole person by exposing researchers to all aspects of research and work in a professional environment.
- Publish and present research is leading international peer reviewed journals and conferences
- Experience a fun, enjoyable, culturally invigorating experience in the heart of the world’s most cosmopolitan city.
- Gain experience of presentation skills, team work, personal development and benefit from the wide range of skills development courses run by the Graduate School.
We do not offer a list of potential research projects here because the list is too extensive and constantly changing in order to stay relevant and cutting-edge. We prefer to discuss projects with the applicant personally to match respective interests and skills. We recommend that you familiarise yourself with the research of the academics in the EIL and then contact them directly by e-mail. For general enquiries contact Dr. Brett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Formal applications for Ph.D. can be made here.
The EIL welcomes highly motivated and talented researchers who are self-funded or have scholarships from their country of origin. The UCL Graduate School also offers a range of scholarships to highly qualified students.
Masters Level Research
Students are given a choice of EIL projects to work on as part of the undergraduate Research Project. A range of M.Sc. programme are available that give access to EIL projects, facilities and supervisors:
The EIL has an active programme of Education and Public Outreach (EPO) aimed at promoting public awareness and understanding of electrochemical science and technology. Activities include UCell, a team of PhD students, lecturers and industrial partners lead by Leon Brown working on electricity production from hydrogen. The team's aim is to bring future energy technologies into the present day by actively powering events around the country using a fuel cell / battery hybrid system. UCell is dedicated to engaging with the public; providing an opportunity for people to see and touch technologies that will play a vital part in near-future energy production.
See our Facebook page to keep up to date with outreach events and lectures.