UCL Department of Economics


ECON7006 - Economics of Regulation

Term 1

The course aims to provide a foundation in the economics of regulation, both in relation to theory and in the development of government policy.


Regulation economics involves looking at why we regulate some firms and not others and considering how to design effective regulatory constraints when needed. This course combines the economic theory of regulation with examples from GB utilities sector of how regulatory frameworks work in practice.

At the end of the course students should have a clear framework for the analysis of government intervention in the industrial and commercial sectors of the economy. The main topics include appraisal of public vs. private ownership, price and rate of return regulation, access pricing and regulation of market entry.

Taught by:
Cloda Jenkins
Assessment: The course comprises 20 hours of lectures and 5hrs of compulsory tutorial classes. There is a compulsory group project during the term, worth 30% of your final mark, and a 2-hour unseen written examination in Term 3 worth the remaining 70%. Affiliate students leaving in December will take the 2-hour written examination at the end of Term 1. 
Suitable for:
2nd / 3rd year Economics (L100), Econ/Geog (LL17), Phil/Econ (VL51) and 3rd year Econ/Stats (LG13), Math/Econ (G1L1/G1LC), SEL and SEF students.
Prerequisites: ECON1001 or ECON1604 and ECON1004 (or equivalent).
Maximum module enrolments: 90
Module Evaluation (Previous year): ECON7006
Moodle page: