ECON0042 > undergraduate module > 2019/20.
- Intended teaching term: Term 1.
- Year: 3.
- Credits: 15 (FHEQ Level 6).
- Moodle: ECON0042.
UCL Module Catalogue: economics-independent-research-project/ECON0042
Projects can be empirical, theoretical, data-driven, literature-driven and interdisciplinary, and you will be guided to also identify and contact experts in the field of your topic.
- To undertake a significant piece of independent research work;
- To gain experience in reading, processing and summarizing a significant amount of literature on a specialised aspect of Economics;
- To gain practical experience in formulating research questions and refining these on the basis of relevant literature, data and discussions with fellow students and supervisor(s);
- To gain experience in finding and analysing data and/or using, developing and validating and estimating models;
- To report about individual work in “work-in-progress” presentations in the bi-weekly Thesis Seminar;
- To report about the research work in writing in a thesis of around 4500 words.
- Final year single-honours Economics (L100 / L101 / L102) students;
- Open to Joint-Degree students only with explicit permission of their home department;
- Not open to Affiliate students.
Students must have completed the first 2 years of their single or joint honours undergraduate degrees.
Students coming into the course should have a good understanding of economics theory (both microeconomics and macroeconomics) as well as good essay writing and presentation skills.
Teaching and assessment
One 10 minute presentation (worth 10% of the overall mark) and and a final assignment worth 90% of the total mark submitted in the first week of the following term. Further details can be found in the module syllabus on the relevant Moodle page.
A change from ECON0042 to the 30-credit Dissertation ECON0117 is only possible during for those who (1) started ECON0042 in Term 1, (2) have decided to request this before December 1st and (3) whose work during term 1 indicates a 30 credit dissertation would be completed with excellent results.