A ‘Research Proposal’ will be presented before the commencement of the MSc research project. That will include: preliminary literature review; project objectives; outline of methods; costing; and, where necessary, a safety assessment. Word limit 6000 words.
Coordinator: Dr Emma Liu
- Module Details
Title Research Proposal UG Code GEOL0038 Coordinator Dr Emma Liu Other Contributors Term 1 & 2 Credits 15 Written Exam Coursework 100% Pre-Requisites Maths & Stats Content and Requirement Total Number of Hours of Student Work Hours of Lectures/Seminars Hours of Practicals/Problem Classes Hours of Tutorials Days of Fieldwork Other
The Research Proposal is an exercise that will get you thinking critically about your chosen field of research, ahead of your independent research project. You will be expected to undertake a review of relevant literature and present clearly defined research objectives based on this review. You will also be expected to outline the methods you will use to explore these objectives/hypotheses, together with appropriate costings and risk assessments.
To develop your ability to plan research, and specifically:
• To assess previous work from the literature and identify research needs in your chosen topic;
• To define clear research objectives/hypotheses that have a well-defined scope;
• To plan a structured timeline of work, including assessment of risks, costs and time needed.
You will have developed a knowledge of:
• How to assess the current state of knowledge from the literature;
• How to design and structure a research project to investigate specific objectives
• How to recognise and evaluate safety procedures.
You will have developed an understanding of:
• The balance of cost/time and outcomes in research;
• The need to base research on the current state of knowledge;
• The importance of clearly-defined research objectives/hypotheses.