Ethnic Diversity Network
We are also committed to increasing diversity within our Department where already we are highly international, with our students and staff coming from many different countries, cultures and backgrounds.
Reflections by UCL Earth Sciences Network for Ethnic Diversity on two Black History Month 2022 events.
We delve into the research of Ben Otoo, PhD student at the University of Chicago who participated in our Black History Month event. We’ve followed up with him to learn a bit more about his research.
On October 19th, UCL Earth Sciences PhD student Cassius Morrison hosted a discussion for Black History Month.
The prize will be awarded to a student who has gone beyond their usual studies, working on activities such as (but not limited to) lack of role models, discrimination, barriers or unconscious bias.
UCL was one of only eight institutions to receive a Race Equality Charter Mark Bronze Award for its work in Higher Education. Yet UCL has identified a significant attainment gap between home BME students obtaining a "good" final degree result when compared to home white students. Information on the UCL Earth Sciences attainment gap is being sought, and an action plan to eliminate the gap will be applied. BME representatives for students and staff sit on our EDI committee.
Key UCL Contacts and Sources of Information
- Race Equality & Race Equality Steering Group
- Both Earth Sciences and UCL have a zero-tolerance policy with regard to Racial and Xenophobic Harassment, and key contacts can be found in the hyperlink. Even if you are not directly affected, but have seen someone else being harassed, do not let it go unchallenged, but become an Active Bystander.
- RaceMatters@UCL is for networking, peer support, sharing ideas and articles of interest, forging scholarly connections and collaborations, organising formal and social events, and positively influencing policy and practice on ‘race’ equality at UCL
- The Black and Minority Ethnic Students’ Officer represents BME students and students of colour on campus. Email them at email@example.com or phone them at 02076797392.
- You can also join the UCLU BME Network by signing up to their Facebook.
Key Resources on under-representation in Earth Sciences:
- Dowey, N., Barclay, J., Fernando, B. et al. A UK perspective on tackling the geoscience racial diversity crisis in the Global North. Nat. Geosci. 14, 256–259 (2021). DOI
- Dutt, K. Race and racism in the geosciences. Nat. Geosci. 13, 2–3 (2020). DOI