This five-day course covers the theory and practice of hearing assessment in infants and children as the basis for appropriate audiological management.
Dates: Thursdays over five weeks from 14 Jan - 11 Feb 2021
Course Director: Carolina Leal
The course combines theoretical evidence with practical knowledge and skills which you'll be able to apply immediately in whatever clinical setting you work in.
You’ll also have an opportunity to network with a range of professionals from different backgrounds.
The course is updated annually to reflect the latest trends in technology and clinical practice.
Who this course is suitable for
This course is suitable for:
- audiologists and audiology assistants
- teachers of the deaf
- speech and language therapists
- general practitioners with a special interest in audiology
- audiovestibular doctors and other health professionals
You should have previous knowledge and experience in general audiology.
- Auditory and communication development in children and principles of neural plasticity
- Newborn Hearing Screening Programme: principles and practice
- Paediatric assessment using a test battery approach: Behavioural and objective hearing assessment for children
- Speech testing and outcome measures of effective intervention
- Interpretation of audiological test results and management plan.
Teaching and structure
The course will run on five consecutive Thursdays. It uses blended learning methods to cater for different learning styles. Seminar-style, interactive teaching is supplemented by:
- group exercises and class discussion
- practical demonstrations using videos
- completion of case-studies with peer-evaluated clinical procedures
- use of video of clinical practice for reflection and self-evaluation
- self-directed reading and pre-reading around current structure and practice in paediatric audiology services
- e-learning course work
This course is led by Carolina Leal, with lectures and seminars given by experienced paediatric audiology clinicians and other professionals using real case examples.
Thursday 14 January 2021 at 10am - 12:30pm
Thursday 21 January 2021 at 10am - 12:30pm and 2pm - 3pm
Thursday 28 January 2021 at 10am - 12:30pm and 2pm - 3pm
Thursday 4 February 2021 at 10am - 12:30pm
Thursday 11 February 2021 at 2pm - 3:30 pm
Following this course you'll be able to:
- Assess cognitive and behavioural development of infancy and childhood
- Identify appropriate environment, arousal state and acoustic signals for assessing behaviour change in detection of sound
- Understand the use evoked potentials for deriving information on auditory thresholds in early life
- Support parent information, inclusion and involvement as the main facilitator in their child’s communication development
- Recognise the role and remit of the audiologist and others within a reciprocal team for early assessment and intervention built around the individual child and family
- Disseminate information about the child for informed decision-making by relevant agencies with parents at the core
Certificates and accreditation
You'll receive a certificate of attendance if you attend all five days.
This course will be CPD accredited by the British Society of Audiology (BSA) and the British Academy of Audiology (BAA) – reflective practice.
The Paediatric Assessment masterclass can only be booked as a full course (i.e. there will be no 1 day, 2 day etc options).
- Payment via UCL Store must be made at least 2 working days before the start of the course
- In order to secure your place using a purchase order, these must be received at least 3 weeks before the start of the course
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared