This five-day course covers the theory and practice of hearing assessment in infants and children as the basis for appropriate audiological management.
Dates: 12 January - 9 February 2023 (every Thursday)
Course Director: TBC
Location: This course takes place in person at the UCL Ear Institute
The course combines theoretical evidence with practical knowledge and skills which you'll be able to apply immediately in whatever clinical setting you work in.
You’ll also have an opportunity to network with a range of professionals from different backgrounds.
The course is updated annually to reflect the latest trends in technology and clinical practice.
- Who this course is suitable for
This course is suitable for:
- teachers of the deaf and educational audiologists
- speech and language therapists
- general practitioners with a special interest in audiology
- audiovestibular doctors and other health professionals
You should have previous knowledge and experience in general audiology.
- Course themes
- Cognitive and behavioural development of infancy and childhood
- Objective hearing tests in infants and children
- Subjective hearing tests in infants and children
- Pivotal role of the family in communication development in infants and children
- Roles and remit of the audiologist and others within a reciprocal team for early assessment and intervention built around the individual child and family
- Teaching and structure
The course will run on five consecutive Thursdays. Seminar-style, interactive teaching is supplemented by:
- group exercises and class discussion
- practical demonstrations using videos
- self-directed reading and pre-reading around current structure and practice in paediatric audiology services
This course has lectures and seminars given by experienced paediatric audiology clinicians and other professionals using real case examples.
- Learning outcomes
Following this course you'll be able to:
- Understand the principlesbehind newborn hearing screen and early intervention for neural plasticity
- Optimise the auditory potential for lifelong communication and social integration
- Establish skills in behavioural and objective methods of hearing assessment in infantsand children as the basis for appropriate audiological management
- Integrate speech-based assessments into the protocols for evaluating hearing
- Develop coherence in the roles of all professionals in the paediatric audiology team
- Assess and address the hearing needs of the child within her/her family context
- Introduce a culture of reflective practice, service evaluation and professional learning
- Contact days
- Certificates and accreditation
You'll receive a certificate of attendance if you attend all five days.
This course is suitable for British Academy of Audiology Higher Training Scheme candidates undertaking the Paediatric Assessment Newborn module and the Paediatric Assessment 6 month+ module.
Cost: £500 without assessments; £1075 with assessments
The Paediatric Assessment masterclass can only be booked as a full course (i.e. there will be no 1 day, 2 day etc options).
Payment via UCLExtend must be made at least 2 working days before the start of the course. In order to secure your place using a purchase order, the PO number must be received before the course start date.
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared