Petrie oversaw excavations at Gurob in 1888-9, 1889-90 and in 1903-4. These two objects were found during the winter season of 1888-90. Petrie’s team included a volunteer, W.O. Hughes-Hughes, who worked with Petrie for the first time. The relationship between the two was difficult and the recording of the site suffered.
As a result, we know little about the discovery of the two objects. The bowl was found in a deposit of burnt objects that had been deliberately placed under the floors of some of the structures, perhaps a household religious practice, or to protect them from harm.
For more about the history of the site and the 'burnt groups', Click here For a 3D reconstruction of the enclosure area, Click here For more information about current excavations at the site, Click here