DCAL - Research Skills Summer School: The language of deaf people
08-11 July 2019, 9.30am – 5pm each day, Central London Location
University College London
Are you interested in language and cognition? Do you need additional research skills training? Is the language of deaf people your area of interest?
This summer school will examine linguistic, psycholinguistic and neuroscience approaches to the research area of language of deaf people. We have assembled leading deaf and hearing academics in the field who will provide training on a variety of topics relating to language and cognition of deaf people focussing on research methods, data collection and analysis techniques for the following topics:
- fieldwork with deaf communities and sign languages
- creating and using video and annotation software
- linguistic analysis of video-recorded language data with ELAN
- corpus approaches
- neuroimaging and psycholinguistic methods to study language processing, language acquisition, reading in deaf people with a range of language experiences, including atypical signers (e.g. developmental disorders, stroke, dementia and autism)
Click here for the reading list for the 2019 Summer School.
Click here for the programme of the 2019 summer school
During the Summer School you will have an opportunity to give a short presentation on your own work/research proposal. Further details will be distributed once the programme has been finalised.
The official languages of the summer school are British Sign Language and English.
You must arrange your own accommodation; a list of recommendations is available on request. Drinks and nibbles will be provided at an evening welcome reception on the first day, and tea or coffee will be provided during morning and afternoon breaks, but no other meals and drinks are included.
Hurry! Enrol Now! Limited places available
For further information or to make payment and enrol please click here
To download the course flyer please click here
Any queries please contact email@example.com
What previous students found beneficial about this Summer school:
“Learning practical skills and understanding the research that is happening right now at DCAL”
“Great experience, knowledge, relevant skills from amazing researchers”
“Variety of perspectives & topics, links to practice & involvement in community”
“Impressive range for a researcher-to-be to consider and plan ahead”
“Having so many experts share their knowledge & expertise. Such a treat”
“Great to hear about past, present & future work in Deafness. Great for stimulating ideas for my future research”
“Learning more about other areas of DCAL’s research areas – helps me with my consideration of my academic future”
“Presenters knew the field well and could explain their own research as well as others – a wonderful privilege”
NOTE: When enrolling and paying for the course you will be asked to provide the following information:
To help the presenters prepare for the Research Skills Summer School, could you let us know some information about yourself. The presenters would like to know:
- What is your discipline/area of study?
- If you are currently a student - what are you studying?
- If you have completed your studies - what is your highest level of qualification
- What is your primary language (either spoken or sign language) - The official languages of the summer school are British Sign Language and English.