What is deaf awareness?
Deaf awareness is about promoting the positive aspects of deafness and social inclusion.
" ...when access and communication are good, deafness ceases to be a barrier to anything in life.
" ...deaf awareness is important because, at its most fundamental level, it facilitates a bridge between hearing and deaf people. Indeed, concentrated efforts to champion and utilise inclusivity will create a more diverse and open society.
Who needs deaf awareness training?
Anyone who may come in contact with deaf people or people with hearing loss and wishes to have a deeper understanding of the issues faced by this group, communicate effectively and provide better services.
Good deaf awareness is being able to:
• recognise that there is diversity within deafness, and that the needs and perspectives of deaf people vary.
• demonstrate good communication skills and modify communication to the individual's need.
• recognise the barriers faced by deaf people and the importance of equal access.
• identify the support and equipment available to deaf people.
Why this course?
• See real people talking about their life experiences so you can understand the different approaches to communication.
• Understand the complexities and challenges of deafness through interactive exercises and the personal experiences of real people with hearing loss.
• Get a unique holistic view of deaf awareness which covers the cultural, societal and medical contexts.
• Learn at your own pace.
Group discounts available.