Don’t worry if you feel lost or change direction, you’re amongst friends at UCL and we can help you stay on track. UCL’s Public Engagement Unit is learning as it goes itself. We take time to stop, reflect and adjust our course when we need to. We can help you do the same. We have expertise in evaluation and how to embed it in your work. We also offer resources, toolkits, and guidance.
We believe that evaluation is crucial for effective public engagement. We expect all projects we deliver and fund to have evaluation built into them (ideally from the start).
One to One Support
Our Evaluation Officer can provide evaluation support and advice to those doing public engagement. We can work with you at any stage of the evaluation process. This can include:
- Developing evaluation strategy/plans
- Designing evaluation methods
- The delivery and monitoring of your work
- Analysis of information
- Writing up and sharing the learning from their work
We can also connect you to people who have run similar projects - who can share their experiences.
Please get in touch.
Evaluation is a core part our approach to public engagement and we include it in all our training courses. Visit our training page find a workshop to suit you.
Toolkits and Guides
Want to evaluate your project but don’t know where to start? Confused by language of evaluation? Looking for inspiration on evaluation methods that might best suit your project?
We have lots of evaluation related tools and resources:
- 10 top tips for evaluating your project
- Planning and evaluating your work: some definitions
- The benefits and barriers to evaluation
- The fundamentals of planning an evaluation
- Evaluating Public events
Whether you want help designing a questionnaire, or carrying out some focus groups, or you want to try something creative like drawing, or walks and talks, we have a host of guides on evaluation methods to help you navigate your way.
- Evaluation methods: Full guide (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Before you start, factors to consider (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Focus groups (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Interviews (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Observations (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Personal logs (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Questionnaires (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Walk and talks (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Creative methods, drawing, writing, photography (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Workshops (doc), (pdf)
- Evaluation methods: Analysis, interpretation, presentation of findings (pdf)
Our commitment to evaluation helps us celebrate and share best practise across UCL and beyond. Read our case studies of past projects