Freedom of Information and Data Protection
Led by Dr Ben Worthy - 2009 to 2013
- Final report Town Hall Transparency? The Impact of Freedom of Information on Local Government in England (pdf)
Our FOI and Local Government project is the first systematic study of the objectives, benefits
and consequences of FOI and English local government. The study
evaluates the impact of the legislation by speaking to selected
officials who work with it across 15 different local authorities and
conducting a survey of FOI officers in local authorities across
England. The project also surveyed requesters who use FOI, interviewed local journalists and analysed media articles that report FOI. Local government in Britain has been a focus of more than two thirds
of all FOI requests. Understanding the impact of FOI on local government
is central to a wider understanding of how the Act is working.
Making Freedom of Information Requests: A Guide for Academic Researchers: The handbook contains the Constitution Unit’s collected wisdom on the successes, pitfalls, tips and tricks to help academics make the best use of FOI. It is based on surveys and interviews with academic requesters, and with government officials who deal with their requests.
Survey Report, The Freedom of Information Act and Higher Education: The experience of FOI officers in the UK, June 2012. A two-part report detailing the results of our survey of FOI officers working in HE, and the results of our analysis of FOI requests made to universities.
AND THE REST...
- Monthly Updates: Every month we collate what's been happening in the world of FOI & DP in the UK and across the world.
- International Focus: We also profile a different FOI regime in a series of monthly briefings
- Consultancy: the Unit is frequently commissioned to conduct research projects on FOI & DP issues. Together with our team of experts we have explored areas for clients such as the World Bank and the Information Commissioner's Office. Meet the team »
MORE ON FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
- What is FOI & DP? History and links
- Guidance for practitioners
- Archives of our FOI Seminar Series
- Find out about our book on 'Does Freedom of Information Work? The Impact of FOI on Whitehall'