Æthelred II and Cnut the Great
A Millennial Conference to Commemorate the Siege of London in 1016
6-9 July 2016, University College London and University of Winchester
This conference will mark the 1000th anniversary of the accession of King Cnut of Denmark to the throne of England.
It will explore the relationship between Anglo-Saxon England and Scandinavia during the early eleventh century, with a focus on the political and cultural repercussions of regime change in 1016 and the role of London in that process.
Our keynote speakers in London are:
- Elrington and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon, Cambridge
- Marie Borroff Professor of English, Yale
- Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon, Oxford
- Professor of Medieval Archaeology, UCL
Our keynote speakers in Winchester are:
- Emeritus Professor in Early Medieval History, Winchester
- Roberta Bowman Denning Professor of Humanities, Stanford
Full programme now available here!
Registration has now closed.
Many thanks to our sponsors:UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society
UCL English Department
UCL History Department
UCL Institute of Archaeology
The Danish Embassy in London
Page last modified on 23 jun 16 09:18