Department of Greek & Latin


Study Abroad

UCL May 2016

There are plenty of opportunities for PhD students to spend a term in a university abroad. The Department encourages students to think about this.

Note: you will need to allow plenty of time to set up a visit.


UCL-Yale Exchange

UCL and Yale have a collaborative relationship, which includes the facilitation of exchange visits for PhD students. Please contact the UCL Yale office for details.

Turing Scheme

In March 2022 UK universities were invited to bid for funds to support student mobility under the new Turing scheme. If UCL’s bid is successful, the Department will be able to subsidise a limited number of research trips for research students (PGR/ECR) for one to three months, starting from January 2023. Funds will cover study placements and research traineeships outside the UK. We anticipate that most activities will take place in the spring (UCL second-third terms).

  • Please look at the UCL Turing website.
  • For the amount payable by the Turing scheme for the country you wish to visit, see the Turing website under Grant Rates.
  • Students who fulfill the criteria of widening access under the Turing scheme will receive an increased amount from the scheme.
  • Read the Departmental application form carefully; when you've completed it please send to the PhD tutor. Priority may be given to students who are not eligible for funding from a body such as the LAHP or the UCL GRS awards.
  • The deadline in 2022-23 is a rolling deadline: all travel must be complete by 31 August 2023, and applications need to be submitted to the Department 3 months in advance.


The Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service) offers a range of grants to research students to visit German universities. Deadlines are in October and April.


We have an exchange programme with the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa which is open to PhD students. Please see the Graduate Tutor for details.


The Department will help PhD students who wish to make their own arrangements to work with scholars at universities abroad. Please bear in mind that if no formal exchange agreement exists, you may be liable to pay fees at the foreign institution.