Postdoctoral Study in Classics
The Department of Greek and Latin welcomes applications for postdoctoral study in areas which fit the Department's research profile. We generally have one or two postdoctoral research fellows in residence: they join fully in the life of the Department and do a very limited amount of (MA and BA) teaching. Previous postdoctoral members of the Department have gone on to teaching posts in universities across the UK and abroad.
There are two principal sources of funding for postdoctoral study:
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Applicants must be within three years of the award of a doctorate (for the 2014 competition this means either already having been awarded a doctoral degree following a viva voce examination held on or after 1 April 2011; or having a reasonable expectation that they will have submitted and had their thesis examined by 1 April 2014)
- Applicants must be a UK or EEA national, or have completed a doctorate at a UK university.
For full details see the website of the British Academy here
Applicants must be supported by the Department. Our internal deadline for applications is 15 September each year (for an award starting the following autumn). Please get in touch with the Head of Department, or the member of staff who most closely matches your research interests, to discuss your application.
Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships
- Applicants must not yet have held a full-time established academic post in a UK university or comparable UK institution, nor may Fellows hold such a post concurrently with the Early Career Fellowship.
- All candidates must hold a doctorate or have equivalent research experience by the time they take up the Fellowship.
- Applications are invited from those with a doctorate who had their doctoral viva not more than five years from the application closing date.
- Applicants must either hold a degree from a UK higher education institution at the time of taking up the Fellowship or at the time of application hold an academic position in the UK (e.g. fixed-term lectureship, fellowship).
For full details see the website of the Leverhulme Trust here
Applicants must be supported by the Department, and matched funding is provided by the Faculty of Arts & Humanities at UCL, who will make the final decisions on which applications to put forward to the Leverhulme Trust. Our internal deadline for applications is 15 December each year (for an award starting the following autumn). Please get in touch with the Head of Department, or the member of staff who most closely matches your research interests, to discuss your application.
Page last modified on 19 nov 13 19:41