The deadline for MA studentships for 2016/17 entry has been extended until Friday 15 July 2016 due to high demand. More...
Honorary Research Fellow 2013-14
Research interests: I specialise in Roman literature and culture in 1st centuries BC and AD, with particular attention to the Augustan and Neronian periods. My major publications have so far focused around Ovid, Manilius, Roman didactic poetry, and the interaction between Roman literature and religious experience. My latest monograph was published with OUP in July 2014.
I have contributed a paper on Seneca’s representation of Augustus to the Commemorating Augustus conference (Leeds, August 2014). I am currently working on the hunting poem of the neglected Augustan poet, Grattius. I am organising a conference on this author at UCL in June 2015, and it is hoped that this will be converted into a published collection of papers.
I have taught Classics in many different universities – in Ireland (NUI Maynooth and Cork), Scotland (Glasgow and St. Andrews) and England (Manchester and Keele) – and my most substantive post was at the University of Leeds from 2004-13 (Senior Lecturer from 2008; Head of Department 2010-13). I am currently teaching classical subjects at Yale-NUS college in Singapore.
- (2014), Disclosure and Discretion in Roman Astrology: Manilius and his Augustan Contemporaries, Oxford
- (2013; co-edited with P.J. Goodman), Animating Antiquity: Harryhausen and the Classical Tradition (special volume of New Voices in Classical Reception Studies)
- (2011; co-edited with K. Volk), Forgotten Stars: Rediscovering Manilius’ Astronomica, Oxford
- (2006; co-edited with R.K. Gibson and A.R. Sharrock), The Art of Love: Bimillennial Essays on Ovid’s Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris, Oxford
- (2004), Ovid Fasti 1: A Commentary, Leiden
Articles/ Book Contributions (selected, since 2008)
- (2014), “Alternatives to Aeneas: Meditations on Leadership and Military Discipline in Virgil, Aeneid 9”, Proceedings of the Virgil Society 28
- (2013) “Perseus on the Psychiatrist’s Couch in Leterrier’s Clash of the Titans (2010): Harryhausen Reloaded for 21st Century”, in P.J. Goodman and S.J. Green (eds.), Animating Antiquity: Harryhausen and the Classical Tradition (New Voices in Classical Reception Studies)
- (2011) “Arduum ad astra: The Politics and Poetics of Horoscopic Failure in Manilius’ Astronomica”, in S.J. Green and K. Volk (eds.), Forgotten Stars: Rediscovering Manilius’ Astronomica, Oxford: 120-38
- (2010) “(No) Arms and a Man: The Imperial Pretender, the Opportunistic Poet, and the Laus Pisonis”, CQ 60: 497-523
- (2010) “Undeifying Tiberius: A Reconsideration of Seneca, Apocolocyntosis 1.2”, CQ 60: 274-6
- (2009) “The Horse and the Serpent: A Vergilian Perspective on the Final Eclogue of Calpurnius Siculus”, Vergilius 55: 55-67
- (2009) “Malevolent Gods and Promethean Birds: Contesting Augury in Augustus’ Rome”, TAPA 139: 147-67
- (2008) “The Expert, the Novice and the Exile: A Narrative Tale of Three Ovids in Fasti”, in G. Liveley and P. Salzman-Mitchell (eds.), Latin Elegy and Narratology: Fragments of Story, Ohio: 180-95
- (2008) “Save the Cows? Augustan Discourse and Animal Sacrifice in Ovid’s Fasti”, G&R 55: 39-54