Teaching Fellow in Classics
Research interests: Homer, scholarship in Byzantium (esp. reception of the Homeric text with emphasis on allegorical interpretation), modern reception of Homer.
I was born and educated in Chios (Greece). I took an undergraduate degree in Classics at the Philosophy School, University of Athens where I wrote a dissertation on the "Professions in Homer". I then moved to University College London with a private scholarship in 1998-9 in order to take a one-year MA in Classics at the department of Greek and Latin. I had the opportunity to follow classes on Homer, Thucydides and Greek Lyric Poetry and to produce a dissertation on "Koraes and Homer" under the supervision of Prof. R. Janko. In 2000, I was offered a scholarship for a PhD in Classics on "Eustathius' Commentary on Homer's Odyssey (ch. 1379-97)" under the supervision of Prof. R. Janko and Prof. C. Carey and in the following years I continued my research on this subject with a post-doc.
• Eustathius' Commentary on the Odyssey - book 1 (Routledge ~ contracted for 2019)
• Codex Sinaiticus: New Perspectives on the Ancient Biblical Manuscript (assistant editor), British Library 2015
• "Paraphrasing Homer: In search of Demosthenes Thrax" chapter in Companion to the Reception of Homer, from the Hellenistic Age to Late Antiquity, ed. by Ch. Manolea (submitted - to be published by Brill, 2017).
• "We are all Trojans...": Homer's poetic legacy, BBC History Magazine, May 2016
• "Perceptions of Greece in the works of Roman authors" (in Europatria, ed. F. de Oliveira, Centre of Classical and Humanistic Studies of the University of Coimbra, Lisbon 2013)
• "Tragedy in Byzantium: Sophocles in Eustathius' Commentary on the Odyssey" (in Dialogues with the Past, vol. I, (BICS Supplement 125), ed. by A. Bakogianni, London 2013)
• "In search of ancient myths: documentaries and the quest for the Homeric world" (in Classics in the Modern World: a 'Democratic Turn'?, ed. by L. Hardwick and S. J. Harrison, Oxford University Press: Oxford 2013).
• The Homer Encyclopedia (edited by M. Finkelberg) Includes three entries "Eustathius", "Byzantine Reception", "Homeric paraphrases" Blackwell, 2011
• "Eustathius' archbishop of Thessalonica Commentary on the Odyssey: Codex Marcianus 460 and Parisinus 2702 revisited" Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies, vol. 50, (2007) pp. 171-192
• R. J. Cunliffe, "A Lexicon of the Homeric Dialect", International Journal of the Classical Tradition, 2014.
• S. Montiglio, "From Villain to Hero: Odysseus in Ancient Thought", BMCR 2012
• G. D. Bird, Multitextuality in the Homeric Iliad, The Witness of the Ptolemaic Papyri, (Hellenic Studies 43), The Classical Review 62 (2012) no 1, 8-10.
• K. A. Raaflaub - H. Van Wees, "A Companion to Archaic Greece", The Classical Review - Aug. 2010
• M. Mueller, "The Iliad" Second edition, The Classical Review 60 (2010) no 2, 604.
• M.M.Winkler, "Troy: from Homer's Iliad to Hollywood epic", Scholia 16 (2007) 47
Radio & Film
• "Katherine of Alexandria" 2011, Carol Winifred Film Studios - Spiked Wheel films, inspired by the recent discovery of the 4th c. diary of St. Katherine (academic advice & translation)
• "Byzantium Unearthed", BBC Radio 4, presented by Bettany Hughes (contribution on Homer and Eustathius)
• "The Forum: The Iliad Beauty, Brutes and Battles", BBC World Service, presented by Bettany Hughes (contribution to a panel about the Iliad)
Projects in progress
- Eustathius project: The aim of this project is to accomplish an edition of Eustathius' Commentary on the Odyssey (Book 1) with an English translation, and expanded explanatory notes.
• Brill's Companion to the Reception of Homer: from Byzantium to the Enlightenment, (co-editor) Includes a chapter by myself on "Eustathius: Homeric commentator, critic and allegorist" (contracted Brill, 2019).
Talks for Schools
• Homer and popular media
• Homer in Cinema
• The World of Homer
• The Gods in the Iliad and the Odyssey
• Modern reception of Homer
• Women in the Homeric epics
for some innovative teaching news and projects have a look here: -