Tuesday 20th to Thursday 29th July 2021
NB This year the London Summer School in Classics will be held ONLINE ONLY
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15th JUNE 2021
- The Summer School offers eight days of intensive teaching in Greek or Latin. We will also be offering Beginners’ classes in Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit and Coptic, and Advanced classes in New Testament/Koine Greek, and Biblical Hebrew (all subject to demand).
- There are four language classes each day, as well as lectures and epigraphy workshops, between 10:30 and 16:30.
- There is no teaching during the weekend.
- Please note you may only study one language at the Summer School.
- For general enquiries please email the Classics Summer School. NB there is no phone number linked to the Summer School. Please use the email provided.
Teaching is generally in groups of 12-15, which, as far as possible, comprise students of roughly the same level of experience (beginners, intermediate or advanced). The style of teaching is friendly, but demanding: a lot of work is expected from students during the School, but they usually find the whole experience both stimulating and valuable. Some classes concentrate chiefly on reading texts, while others offer a mixture of grammar and translation practice. Our tutors include some of the most experienced and talented teachers of Classics in the London area and beyond.
The Summer School in Classics caters for school and university students, and for anyone else who wishes to learn Greek or Latin, or to revive their knowledge of the languages. Previous participants have included: students with no prior knowledge of the languages; pre-GCSE/GCSE and A-Level students; university students; mature applicants who wish to expand their linguistic knowledge. Our principal concern is to provide a thorough programme of language learning in a lively university environment.
- Greek and Latin
We offer Ancient Greek and Latin language courses at all levels.
- New Testament/Koine Greek (CLASS NOW FULL)
This year we will be offering an Advanced Reading Class in New Testament/Koine Greek (subject to sufficient demand)
- Biblical Hebrew
We will be offering Beginners’ and Advanced classes in Biblical Hebrew (both subject to sufficient demand)
We will be offering a Beginners’ class in Sanskrit (subject to sufficient demand)
The cost of the summer school is £150.The fee covers tuition and any online material the tutors choose to upload (depending on the class)
Due to this year’s exceptional circumstances and the move to online teaching, unfortunately we will not be able to loan textbooks to students. The tutors may request some scanning, but due to copyright laws we can only scan a very small portion of any given book. For those classes that will be using textbooks, we will let students know well in advance so they can gain access to the necessary material either in print or online. The textbooks normally chosen by our tutors are widely available from bookstores and online booksellers.
The School is organised by
University College London
King's College London
The UCL regulatory framework for life learning applies to this Summer School.
All students are expected to comply with the UCL good online behaviour rules.
By joining the Summer School students automatically agree to comply with the above rules and regulations.