Greek and Latin Green Impact Award
The Department for Greek and Latin won the Gold Award for Green Impact in 2018, improving on our Silver Award in 2017 (our first time taking part), as a recognition of our committment to environmental sustainability. As advocates we are highly motivated and constantly improving and engaging in various activities as well as support UCL's Sustainability Strategy.
We encourage our staff and students to improve our sustainability
eliminating waste by switching off equipment, lights and radiators when
not in use, recycling, reusing furniture from the reuse network WARPit, purchasing energy efficient appliances and green stationary.
The Christmas Switch Off
Over the holidays, a large amount of lights, appliances and equipment are unnecessarily left on. All of this uses energy, costs money, and generates large amounts of carbon. We can all help to put a stop to this. The Department joins in the annual Christmas Switch Off!
The Department has already begun working towards next year’s award - please contact Alex Balciunas if you would like more information and learn how to get involved.
Simple Steps to Go Green
Small actions really do add up to make a big difference.
Make a pledge to help make our world a better place. Pick from one of the top Do Actions below, or browse more by clicking the ‘pledge’ button above. No need to limit it to one - do as many as you dare!
Going Green Ideas for Printers
- Buy and use recycled paper.
- Save paper by not printing whenever possible. Put a prominent sign up in the office to remind users to print only when necessary.
- Save paper by printing on both sides of a sheet of paper whenever possible.
Going Green Ideas for Computers
- Turn off your computer when not in use.
- Check computer settings for standby mode - if computers are unused for periods of time they should be set to go into standby mode within a short time.
- Keep computer equipment updated; current new computers and monitors are more energy efficient than those more than a few years old.
Going Green Ideas for Lighting
- Turn the lights off in rooms when not in use.
- Replace standard incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or LED bulbs wherever possible. These use 75 percent less energy than standard incandescent light bulbs while delivering the same light output.
- Do not leave your office lights on overnight.