This MSc provides you with new transferable skills, including those in big data management and system integration, which are required for 21st century urban railways.
YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR8neKZwV_g&feature=youtu.be
To find out core information about this degree, such as entry requirements, programme length and cost, visit the UCL prospectus site.
Many Urban Railways MSc modules, and the dissertation, are based on real-world problems, and include much interaction with London-based practitioners. The programme improves your employability in the rail industry, while providing essential skills to those envisaging careers in general transport areas.
We are sorry but this programme is not accepting applications for 2020 entry.
The programme consists of 180 credits in total, made up of eight taught modules worth 15 credits each, and a major research project worth 60 credits. A postgraduate diploma (120 credits) or a postgraduate certificate (60 credits) is also offered if the dissertation/research project is omitted.
- Railway Policy, Management and Engineering (XIMP0011)
- Engineering Study of Rail Systems and Infrastructure (CEGE0060)
- Urban Railway System Integration (CEGE0107)
- Urban Railways in Global Contexts (CEGE0104)
- Optional modules
Students choose a minimum of two and a maximum of three optional modules.
- Elective modules
Students choose a minimum of one and a maximum of two elective modules from the below list. Please note, some modules may require approval from the relevant module tutor and UCL Department. All elective choices are subject to change and availability.
- Transport Engineering & Operations (XIMP0005)
- Transport Policy (XIMP0007)
- Roads and Underground Infrastructure: Design, Construction and Maintenance (CEGE0030)
- Geospatial Programming (CEGE0096)
- Project Management (MSIN0179)
- Road Traffic Theory and its Application (XIMP0008)
- International Case Studies in Transport and City Planning (BPLN0061)
- Data Science for Spatial Systems (CASA0006)
- Elective module(s) of the UCL School of Management
Students taking the full Urban Railways MSc will complete an independent research project, which culminates in a dissertation of 10,000 - 15,000 words, and is worth 60 credits.
The following pathways demonstrate possible choices of optional modules.
- General pathway
- Analytics-focused pathway
- Management pathway