Mapping Synergies and Trade-offs between Sanitation and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Mapping Synergies and Trade-offs between Sanitation and the SDGs is a UCL project which aims to conduct an evidence-based review of the links between sanitation and each of the SDG target goals.
19 February 2020
- 2018 - 2019.
- This project was funded by The Vitol Foundation.
- Dr Priti Parikh, UCL Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
- Loan Diep, UCL Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
- Dr Pascale Hofmann, The Bartlett Development Planning Unit
- Dr Julia Tomei, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources
- Dr Luiza Campos, UCL Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
- Prof Monica Lakhanpaul, UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health
- Prof Yacob Mulugetta, UCL Science, Technology, Engineering & Public Policy
- Dr Tse-Hui Teh, The Bartlett School of Planning.
- The project aims to conduct an evidence-based review of the links between sanitation and each of the SDG targets. The methodology was first developed at global level, and then applied to the context of Brazil.
Why undertake this research?
While the linkages between water and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) have been extensively explored, the role of sanitation in achieving the SDGs has received very little attention. The UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) targets and indicators for sanitation did not go beyond service access and failed to take the entire sanitation chain into account. Within the SDGs, interlinkages between sanitation and other sectors are still poorly understood. Yet, major gains are at stake for the majority of SDG goals if universal access to adequate and equitable sanitation is achieved. Identifying links across SDGs will enable practitioners and governments to take decisions so that ‘no one is left behind’ in the process of improving sanitation services.
Please note, some of these links lead to external sites.
- UCL Engineering for International Development Centre.
- The Vitol Foundation.
- UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- UN Millennium Development Goals.
The research team has built on a methodology developed in-house by UCL’s Energy and Development Group. The project lays a foundation for systematic and context-specific exploration of interlinkages by innovatively and comprehensively mapping trade-offs and synergies between sanitation and the other SDGs.