- Inaugural Lecture 15 June 2011
- History of Medicine in Motion
- Medical Texts in Translation
- Potent Substances: On the Boundaries of Food and Medicine
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body
- Perfect Bodies
- Daoist and Other Visualisations in Practice
- Festival of Chinese Film and the Body, Film 4
- Chinese New Year celebrations 2013
- Pharmacology in China
- The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
- China in Latin America
- Martial arts film: The Sword Identity
- Spices and medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future
- CCHH OPEN DAY
- CCHH film evenings
- Performance and [dis]ability
- Chinese film evening, Dragon (Wuxia 武俠, 2011), dir. Peter Chan 陈可辛.
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Prof. Volker Scheid
- CCHH film – Mother (Mama 妈妈), dir. Zhang Yuan 张元, 1990.
- Film and the Chinese Medical Humanities
- CCHH alumni news
- CCHH MA student achievement
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities workshop
- China and Freedom of Speech: new systems for the accountability of the press. An evening with John Kampfner
- Imagining Chinese Medicine: Medical illustration from Han tombs to contemporary Comics.
- Twelve Scholars of the Bamboo Grove
- Chinese Visual Festival 2014
- A transnational history of the forensic gaze
- The 'Subtle Body' in the Indo-Tibetan and Chinese traditions
- UK première – Sauna on the Moon (Chang’e 嫦娥), dir. Zou Peng 邹鹏, China 2011
- Come and join the China-Taiwan cross-straits debate!
- #UCLfacesRACE: Eugenics@UCL
- Emetic remedies in Japanese Koiho 古方 medicine
- #UCLfacesRACE, Conversation 2: Why is my curriculum white?
- Daoist Cooking through the Four Seasons
- University of Westminster Contemporary China Centre Seminar
- Administrating Art, History, and Science in the Mongol Empire: Rashid al-Din and Bolad Chengxiang
- Thinking Chinese Conference (31/03–1/04 2015) 思華 · 華思 (UPDATE)
- Thinking Chinese Exhibition (31/03–12/05 2015)
- The Chinese Erhu during the First World War
- 5th Annual Chinese Visual Festival
- Call for Chinese-speaking choral singers!
- Lady Precious Stream
- Film and Discussion: When China Met Africa
- Hot and Numb! 2000 years of Sichuan pepper
- A unique opportunity to learn Chinese Sign Language at UCL!
- Medical Humanities in China – conference
- Isabella Bird (1831–1904): Photographic travels in China
- Thinking Chinese 思華 . 華思
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar: Professor Elisabeth Hsu
- International postgraduate summer school
- Di Lu Wins IASTAM Junior Scholar Essay Prize
- New Chinese Film + Director's Q&A
- Summer volunteering placements in rural China
- MA Chinese Health & Humanity Dissertation Conference 2016
- Chinoiseries – Art and Fashion
- Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities in a Digital World
- Chinese Film and the Medical Humanities: ten workshops
- PKU-UCL Cross-Cultural Medical Humanities
- Frontiers in Digital Health seminar
- Exhibition + Lecture + Student workshop
Conference/workshop: Self-Care in a Digital World [UPDATED]
7–9 November 2016, UCL Institute of Advanced Studies, Common Ground, Ground Floor, South Wing, Wilkins Building, UCL.
Convened and curated by Vivienne Lo, UCL CCHH.
Tuesday evenings during term-time, 5 November 2016 to 7 February 2017
We are delighted to announce the success of the recent UCL CCHH application for a Wellcome Trust Seed Award (PI: Vivienne Lo).
Panel seminar organised by Phoenix TV Art. 20 June 2016, 6.30 pm, Lydia & Manfred Gorvy Lecture Theatre, Dyson Building, Royal College of Art, 1 Hester Road, Battersea, SW11 4AN.
Wednesday 25 May, 2.15–5pm, Room 102, 23 Gordon Square.
Please come along to support our students and find out about their fascinating research! More...
The Benevolent Dragon? An analysis of China's health diplomacy to Africa (1964 – the present)
6 March 2013
Wednesday 13 March 2013, 5.30–6.30pm, Bentham SB01 Seminar Room 3.
Transnational history lecture and seminar with Dr Paul Kadetz, Global Health, Arizona School of Health Sciences.
The practice of health diplomacy aims to prioritise the health care aspects of humanitarian aid as a mechanism for political economic negotiations between donor and recipient nations. Existing research concerning health diplomacy has neglected to assess the context-appropriateness of the health care aid transferred, the manner in which health diplomacy is implemented, and the political and economic ideologies embedded in such transfers. Using these criteria, this presentation examines how health diplomacy may be understood with the specific case study of Sino-African health diplomacy over the past sixty years. China's health diplomacy is contrasted with examples of that of the US in order to assess whether the former constitutes a distinct alternative to the normative health diplomacy of the ‘global North’.
Paul Kadetz is an Associate of the China Centre for Health and Humanity at University College London and is on the faculty of the Global Health programme of the Arizona School of Health Sciences in the US. He completed his DPhil in Development Studies at the University of Oxford. He also completed a MSc in Medical Anthropology at Oxford and holds a MPH in International Health and Development; a MSN as an Adult Nurse Practitioner; and a MSOM in acupuncture and herbology. Paul served as an external expert researcher for the Traditional Medicine Unit of the Western Pacific Region Office of the World Health Organization and assisted in the development of the current strategy for Traditional Medicine for the Western Pacific Region. Paul has conducted research on health care and integrative medicine in China, Cuba, Guatemala, the Philippines and in Post-Katrina New Orleans. He is currently studying the long-term epidemiological effects of drone technology on children.
This event is open to all members of UCL and registered Friends of CCHH. To become a Friend, please click here.
SBO1, Seminar Room 3,
Bentham House, 4–8 Endsleigh Gardens, WC1H 0EG.
Euston Station or Euston Square
View Bentham House in a larger map
(or try the UCL Campus Route Finder)
Page last modified on 06 mar 13 12:48 by Penelope Barrett