UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health


Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health


Attendance Requirement for Research Students

It is important for research students and supervisors to adhere to the attendance requirements as set out under Chapter 5, Part A, of the UCL Academic Manual - Research Degrees Framework.  Please note that it is the student's responsibility to inform the ICH Research Degrees Office if they are unable to work on their research due to personal reasons, for example illness (student's own or close family), maternity, bereavement, or carer's leave.  In these circumstances, it is strongly recommended that the student takes an interruption of study, and it is very important that such requests are made either in advance or during the period in question.  Where a student is unable to inform the GOSICH Research Degrees Office of their absence, it then becomes the responsibility of the supervisor.

Requests for retrospective periods of interruption are unlikely to be supported by the Department.  If a student intends to make a request for a retrospective interruption, they should submit an application for a suspension of the regulations directly to UCL Student Records (researchdegrees@ucl.ac.uk) and include a supporting statement from their supervisor which must set out the reason(s) why the request was not made previously at the time when the student's work was being affected by their personal circumstances.  Applications are considered by the Chair of the UCL Research Degrees Committee, and are only approved in exceptional circumstances.

Students and supervisors are also reminded that the GOSICH Student Annual Leave form is a useful tool for monitoring student attendance and is available below.  The form is only for use by students who are not employees of UCL and who do not have access to MyHR.  All periods of leave should be agreed between a student and their supervisors in advance.

If you have any queries regarding the Attendance Requirement, please contact the GOSICH Research Degrees Office in the first instance (ich.researchdegrees@ucl.ac.uk).