Introduction to Hospital Episode Statistics
17 September 2020–18 September 2020, 9:00 am–1:30 pm
17 - 18 September 2020 – This course will provide you with an understanding of how HES data are collected and coded, their structure, and how to clean and analyse HES data. A key focus will be on developing an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of HES, how inconsistencies arise, and approaches to deal with these.
This course will be delivered on Microsoft Teams
Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) is the national hospital admission database for England, which is increasingly being used for research, clinical outcomes monitoring, and public health and service planning.
The course consists of a mixture of lectures and practicals for which you will use Stata software to clean and analyse HES data.
- Who should attend
The course is for researchers and data analysts in academia, government and private sector at all levels who are using or planning to use HES for their work.
- Topics covered
- HES data collection and coding
- HES data structure
- How to clean and manage HES data
- How to ensure anonymity and confidentiality
- How to carry out basic analyses using HES data
- Sources of variation in HES data
- How to apply for HES data
- An introduction to other hospital databases in the UK
By the en of the course you will be able to:
- Understand how and why HES data are collected
- Be aware of the strength and weaknesses of using HES data for research
- Be able to implement basic cleaning, management and analysis tasks using HES data
- Know how to ensure anonymity and confidentiality when using HES
- Fees and Registration
£70 Student - online
£170 Public Sector - online
£470 Private Sector - online
All delegates must register and pay on-line in advance of the course; the place is confirmed once the payment is processed successfully.
Bookings are made via our online system in advance of the course; our online payment system accepts VISA, MasterCard, VISA debit, VISA electron and Maestro.
We regret that we are no longer able to invoice NHS Trusts or other organisations. Our on-line booking system will issue an automatic receipt for your card payment so that you can reclaim from your organisation if appropriate.
For booking enquiries, please contact email@example.com.