Call for PhD Project Outlines
Applications are invited for PhD Project Outlines
The Research Degrees Office is advertising a call for PhD project outlines to form part of the 2021-22 portfolio. This mechanism will be used to select for the Child Health Research PhD Programme including other studentship schemes.
You are asked at this stage to submit a project outline suitable for a PhD Studentship to begin in October 2021. Following submission of project applications there will be five stages to the process:
- Supervisors are asked to submit Project Outline forms which will comprise a 1 page summary for the portfolio
- There will be a preliminary review of the project outlines by a central review panel which will result in an approved portfolio of possible projects for inclusion in the advert for Studentships
- Students will be interviewed and selected by a central GOSICH committee, chaired by the Institute Director
- Selected students will be paired up with supervisors on the basis of the outline projects in the portfolio and their specific interests
- A request will then be made for the supervisor to work together with the student on a full PhD project proposal which will be submitted for internal peer review by two independent ICH academics, to ensure that selected projects are fully approved and up-to-date.
You are now invited to submit a project outline for consideration.
NB Inclusion of your project in the portfolio will not guarantee you a student.
The submission of project outlines are invited from all academic areas to ensure we are able to offer students a wide variety of projects that covers all aspects of research at GOSICH/GOSH.
All project outlines will be considered on an equal footing.
Project outlines should be submitted by the student's intended supervisor supported, if necessary, by other senior members of staff. Applicants are asked to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before submitting the project outline.
Applicants with overdue final reports to an external funding body will not be considered.
Some modifications to the eligibility criteria for project submission have been made this year, to facilitate more PhD supervision (at primary or secondary level, as appropriate) for non-Professorial staff, as follows:
- Eligible projects will require at least one supervisor who is at Grade 8/9 (as primary or secondary supervisor)
- Supervisors who already have a CHR PhD student will not be eligible to submit a project for two years after that student registered (previously one year), although project outlines may still be submitted for consideration in relation to other schemes both within and outside UCL, and such projects can also be retained on our self-funding portfolio.
*Student appointments for the 2020/21 scheme are expected to be confirmed by end of May 2020.
Supervisors may submit up to 2 project outlines for inclusion in the portfolio.
A previously submitted project may be re-submitted to this scheme in the following year. Please note that you will need to submit new project outlines each year, and that there will be no automatic rollover of project outlines from the previous year. This is to ensure that all project outlines are still available and up-to-date.
Applications should be submitted by email to the Research Degrees Office - ICH.firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATIONS FROM ELIGIBLE ICH/GOS STAFF ONLY (Please see the Terms and Conditions set out in the Application Form for further details)
The deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday 15th June 2020.
GOSICH Unfunded Project Portfolio:
If you only wish to submit a project to be included in the project portfolio for self-funding students, please complete the