We allow students to take maternity, paternity, shared parental and adoption leave and make provision for additional stipend to be paid where appropriate. Students are also allowed to study on a part-time basis.
- Research Council funded students are entitled to up to 26 weeks of maternity leave on full stipend and a further 26 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.
- Partners are entitled to up to 10 days paid Ordinary Paternity Leave on full stipend.
- Partners may be entitled to up to 50 weeks of Shared Parental Leave; this may include paid and unpaid leave, depending on the individual circumstances, any paid leave should be at full stipend.
- There is no qualifying period for maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave eg a student can take leave regardless of when they commenced their studies.
- Students may opt to study part-time (at least 50%) following a change in their personal circumstances.
- The period of support may be extended to cover the period of absence.
- Submission dates can be amended for periods of maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave and if the student changes to part-time study.
- There is no limit to the number of periods of Maternity, Ordinary Paternity, Shared Parental or Adoption Leave that can be taken during a studentship.
- Part-time awards should not be less than 50% of full-time.
- Research Organisations may approve a change in the mode of study from part-time to full-time or vice-versa eg for changes in personal circumstances.
The department will match this for any non RCUK student if the sponsor does not do so.
Image: Paul McMillan (Supervisor), Filip Meersman, Ana Jorge Sobrido and Rachael Hazael (PDRA) with her new baby attending a group meeting.