Professor of Chemical Engineering / Pro-Vice-Provost (Doctoral School & ECR Staff)
David Bogle was born in Australia but undertook his undergraduate education and PhD in Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London. He has been at UCL since 1990 after periods in industry and Australia. He is Deputy Director of the Centre for Process Systems Engineering, a joint research centre of UCL and Imperial College London. He chaired the World Congress of Chemical Engineering in Glasgow in 2005. He is a Fellow of Institution of Chemical Engineers and was elected a Fellow of the UK’s Royal Academy of Engineering in 2005. For 2018-2021 he was Scientific Vice President of the European Federation of Chemical Engineers and is currently Executive Editor for PSE for Chemical Engineering Science. He is the President of the Institution of Chemical Engineers for 2022-23.
As Pro-Vice-Provost at UCL since 2005 he leads the strategy for early career researcher development across all disciplines (doctoral and postdoctoral).
He currently teaches Advanced Process Optimisation and introductory Engineering Ethics.
In Process Systems Engineering he has contributed to solution methods for large scale design problems, controllability analysis, global optimization methods, and approaches for Smart Process Manufacturing for chemical and biochemical processes. In Systems Biology he has worked with medical scientists on Systems Engineering of the Liver.
IChemE Council Medal
Fellowship of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng)
PhD Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London UK
MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London UK
BSc (Eng) Hons in Chemical Engineering
- FIChemE – fellow of IChemE
- CEng – chartered engineer
- TEDESCO M., CIPOLLINA A., TAMBURINI A., BOGLE I.D.L., and MICALE G. (2015) A simulation tool for analysis and design of reverse electrodialysis using concentrated brines. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 93 441-456
- ASHWORTH W., DAVIES N., and BOGLE I.D.L. (2016) A computational model of hepatic energy metabolism: Understanding zonated damage and steatosis in NAFLD. PLoS Comput Biol. 2016 Sep 15;12(9):e1005105. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005105.
- PEREZ-GALVAN C. and BOGLE I.D.L. (2017) Global Optimisation for Dynamic Systems using Interval Analysis. Computers and Chemical Engineering 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2017.02.028
- BOGLE I.D.L. (2017) A Perspective on Smart Process Manufacturing Research Challenges for Process Systems Engineers. Engineering 3 1-5
- LIAO Y., DAVIES N.A. and BOGLE I.D.L. (2022) A Process Systems Engineering approach to analysis of fructose consumption in the liver system and consequences for Non-Alcoholic fatty liver disease. Chem Eng Sci. 2020 263 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2022.118131