UCL Careers work with UK and overseas organisations to promote internships and placements in a number of ways. You can find details of all of our schemes below. We look forward to working with you.
Benefits of hosting a UCL intern:
- Support on a particular project or business initiative that you would like to progress at your organisation
- Fresh ways of thinking, up to date skills and specialist knowledge developed at a top global institution
- Raising awareness of your organisation at UCL
- Professional development for staff members who are allocated as intern supervisors
- A pipeline of future talent into your organisation
- If you are UCL alumni, an ongoing connection to the university and contributing to the development of current students' skillset
- For overseas organisations, English language skills, particularly useful for organisations looking to develop or expand operations in English speaking countries
- For overseas organisations, providing students with experience in a culture that may be new to them and developing their global mindset
Summer Internships Scheme
In association with Santander Universities, we provide subsidised funding for a number of internships across our summer scheme; which will support the training allowance for one UCL student or graduate intern to work with your business during the 2019 summer vacation period (June – September).
This scheme is for SMEs that are based in or frequently trading in London. Places are limited and internship proposals will be assessed against our criteria, on a first come first served basis until all funding is reserved.
Read about two employers’ experiences of participating in the scheme last Summer 2018:
The scheme has closed for Summer 2019 but if you are an employer and would like to be added to the waiting list for next year please contact Rochelle Symons at email@example.com. If you are a student or graduate interested in applying for the scheme in 2019/20 then please refer to: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/opportunities/jobs/summer-internships
You will be notified through the UCL Careers newsletter when the scheme reopens.
Global Internships Programme
UCL has a diverse student population, with over 150 nationalities represented on campus and 15,000 of our students coming from outside of the UK. You can recruit a globally-minded student for your organisation as part of our Global Internships Programme.
This exciting initiative aims to connect UCL students and overseas organisations for high-quality summer internships. You can increase a student’s global skillset and employability, whilst benefiting from an international perspective and new ways of thinking.
I have noting but good things to say about this programme! From their pre-selection to their follow-up processes, UCL has been nothing but professional and effective. We absolutely loved working with UCL and we will continue this partnership in the future!" Campus Moragete, Spain (2019 host organisation)“
Full details about the 2020 programme can be found in our Information Pack including timings and reasons to get involved. Whether you’re a large or small company, and if you’ve hosted lots of interns previously or none at all, we are keen to hear from you.
By working with UCL Careers you can expect a dedicated contact to talk through your internship opportunity and support with marketing it to UCL students free of charge. In return, you will be expected to provide a meaningful, developmental opportunity for the intern and offer some form of compensation (such as a salary or other financial benefits).
Please read the Global Internships Programme terms of engagement, which you will need to agree to if your opportunity is part of the programme. You will also need to complete a Health & Safety checklist before we can advertise your internship.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
PhD/Post-Doc Level internships.
If you have an internship vacancy suitable for PhD/Post-Doc researchers, we would particularly like to hear from you and will prioritise promoting these vacancies. If you wish, we can restrict these opportunities just to these levels of students, so that you are targeting those who are highly skilled in data collection, analysis, making recommendations and problem-solving. Internships can be of any duration and up to 12 months and can be either full or part-time.
If you would like to discuss this further, please email Sylwia Wasiak-Rakowska: email@example.com
We have dedicated support for the following programmes:
- Arts & Sciences BASc is UCL's interdisciplinary 'Liberal Arts' style course. Students select a combination of science, humanities and social science modules and they study a language alongside core modules designed to foster interdisciplinary thinking. Please email Natalie Flintoff: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- BSc Management Science course is an analytical programme with students using a variety of tools to solve management problems in data-driven companies. Please contact Shak Chowdhury: email@example.com for more information.
- Engineering Faculty offers recruitment opportunities for a variety of students from our nine engineering departments. Our students think, make, model, design, analyse, challenge, innovate, and practice what they've learned by tackling engaging projects that address real-world problems. Please email Aroosa Raza: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
If you have opportunities for students from other programmes or any other queries around internships or placements please email email@example.com