Online Careers Library
Career Discovery provides information about visas/work permits both for working in the UK or in other countries.
Search for visas to view articles for international students who want to work in the UK either during or after, as well as guides on working in other countries, including visa requirements.
UCL International student support
This department at UCL also provides online guidance for information about UK immigration and visas. Areas covered include:
- Tier 4 applications
- Short-term student visas
- Working whilst in the UK (during and after study)
- Doctorate extension scheme
See the International student support website for more details.
International student sponsorship data
We are often asked if we hold data on numbers of international students that secure sponsorship to remain in the UK after leaving university and who sponsors them.
Our data dashboard provides the information we hold on this. (You will require a current UCL user ID to access this data).
Working in the UK as an International student:
You might be considering trying to find UK work experience during your studies and applying for jobs here for when you graduate.
- The majority of International students looking for work in the UK will need a supporting visa.
- The good news is that the new Graduate route visa enables students on a Tier 4 visa to remain in the UK for a further 2 years with (or without) undertaking paid employment/ work experience.
- However, the UK Grad route visa cannot be extended after 2 years and many multinational graduate recruiters are hiring talent for the 'long-term' into their graduate programmes. It is therefore good practice to target employers who offer longer-term 'Skilled worker' sponsorship.
- Access this video-based elearning course by eCareersGrad:
eCareersGrad – International Students – Target the Right UK Employer
- REVEALED: the eCareersGrad UK150 listing of the biggest International Student sponsoring employers
- Sponsorship listings searchable by sector/ company to help ‘Target the right UK employer’ in future applications
- International student video testimony and interactive guides to strategies for sourcing UK jobs and work experience.
Country specific resources, career guides, jobs and internships vacancies, and employer directories for countries across the world. Access here for enhanced content.
UCL Visa & Immigration
Information for UCL students including working during and after your studies and the Graduate Route visa.
UK Council for International Student Affairs
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides information and guidance for international students, including visas, working in the UK, and more.
Planning to work in your home country? GradLink UK connects international students and graduates across the UK with graduate employers and opportunities in China, South-East Asia, the Gulf, Canada, Central and Eastern Europe, Africa and India.
UCL Global Alumni Groups
If you’re planning to work outside the UK, benefit from connecting with fellow UCL alumni wherever you are in the world. Groups regularly host fun and inspiring activities near you.