Guides on assessment centres
Employer directories and sector guides
In our information library, we stock a range of graduate recruiter directories and sector-specific guides which include detailed information on how to succeed at assessment centres.
Drop in during our opening hours to collect your free take away copies.
Alternatively, download copies, (where available online), from our online resource library, Careers Tagged.
Come to an event
We organise a wide range of events where you can find out more about how to stand out during an assessment centre.
- Career Essentials programme (Repeated throughout the year) A series of Careers Consultant led talks aimed at all students and recent graduates which includes an interactive workshop on preparing for assessment centres amongst other topics.
- Employer-led skills sessions (Autumn and Spring reading weeks) A range of graduate recruiters who run assessment centres on a regular basis for different roles host half day practice assessment centres to give you practical experience of typical assessment centre exercises and get feedback on your performance.
- Sector-specific recruitment fairs (Autumn Term only) A chance to network with large numbers of major graduate recruiters from a specific sector to get insider tips on how they run assessment centres and what they're looking for to ensure you stand out.
- Jobs market (Summer Term only) Similar to our sector-specific fairs but giving you access to graduate recruiters from a wide range of sector areas.
- Employer presentations (Autumn and Spring Terms) Talks by individual companies about their current vacancies which will usually include an overview of their recruitment process which will include tips on assessment centre preparation where relevant.
- Sector themed weeks (Autumn and Spring Terms) Network with professionals from a range of sectors popular with UCL students to learn more about whether assessment centres are commonly used in recruitment for roles in that sector and, if so, how they are typically structured.
Get one-to-one advice
If you have been invited to an assessment centre, you can get one-to-advice on what to expect and how to prepare or get individual, role-play based coaching.
- Short guidance A discussion with a Careers Consultant to cover any queries or concerns you may have about interview preparation.
- Practice interview A more role-play based coaching exercise to give you practical experience of answering the types of questions which are likely to come up if there is an interview element to your assessment day. These sessions aren't suitable for practising group based exercises which are commonly used.
Speaking to UCL graduates who are working in the roles and sectors you're interested in is a great way to get an insider's view on what you might expect at an assessment centre.
Through the UCL alumni office, all UCL students and graduates have access to the UCL alumni online community.
Once logged in*, simply follow the 'careers mentoring' link and you can then search for contact details of UCL alumni by:
- UCL Course or department
- Year of graduation from UCL
- Current occupation or field of work
- The country they're now based in
*Note: Any queries relating to the alumni web community should be directed to the UCL alumni office.