The event details below will give you an idea of what to expect for the upcoming programme.
Are you considering a career in Museums, Arts or Cultural Heritage? Then this is the week for you! Come and find out more about these sectors from professionals, including UCL Alumni, working in various roles within these sectors. All events are open to students and recent graduates from across UCL.
Expected learning outcomes:
- Develop an understanding of the roles and career paths available in the Museums, Arts and Cultural Heritage sector
- Develop your networking skills and broaden your professional network in an informal setting
- Build your confidence and awareness of how to succeed in these sectors
We recommend you read through our Themed Weeks page for information on what to expect, how to prepare and how to book.
Events can be extremely popular, so book early to avoid disappointment!
Watch event recordings on our Themed Week archive. These include complete panel discussions and in-depth interviews with experts.
Working in Arts and Culture
Monday 12th November 2018: 5:30 - 7pm
Thinking about working in the arts or cultural sector? Come along to this panel event for the chance to hear from professionals currently working in managerial, creative and organisational roles within a variety of arts and cultural settings. Speakers will discuss the realities, challenges and rewards of their roles. The panel discussion will be followed by Q&A.
- Kate Mason, Director: The Big Draw
Caroline, Marcus: FRSA, Chair of The Board of Trustees at GEM, Group for Education in Museums
- Shelley James, Artist: Shelley James Glass
- Meg Peterson, PhD, Project Manager, Research and Higher Education: Battersea Arts Centre
- Abby-Jo Sheldon, Development and Events: Freud Museum London
Meet the Alumni
Tuesday 13th November 2018: 6:30 - 8:30pm
This event is being organised in collaboration with UCL's Alumni Relations department.
Come and meet UCL Alumni who now work professionally within the museums, arts and cultural heritage sectors. Hear about how they navigated their careers from UCL to their current roles.
There will be a panel discussion and Q&A session chaired by Dr Nina Pearlman, Manager of UCL Art Museums and Slade alumnus. You will then have the chance to practice your networking skills with an hour of networking with the panellists.
Please arrive from 6.15pm for a prompt 6.30pm start. Refreshments will be provided during the networking.
UCL Alumni attending include:
- Dhikshana Turakhia Pering: London Transport Museum (MA Museums and Galleries, 2008)
- Lisa Westcott Wilkins: Dig Ventures (MA Archaeology, 2002)
- Eric Brünjes: Attack Magazine (UCL BA History, 2006)
- Jonathan Franklin: National Gallery in London (MA Library & Information Studies, 1986)
- Adam Klups: Church of England (BA History of Art with Material Studies, 2011)
Cultural Heritage Forum
Thursday 15th November 2018: 6 - 7:30pm
The cultural heritage sector includes a wide variety of roles, across museums, the built environment and other areas.
This forum gives you the chance to hear from UCL alumni working right across the cultural heritage sector including organisations such as the British Museum and on the restoration of the Houses of Parliament, one of the most significant restoration projects in Europe.
- Mary Pierre-Harvey: Assistant Director, The Houses of Parliament (MSc, Architecture, The Bartlett)
- Mads Skytte Jorgensen: Business Analyst, The British Museum (MSc, Archaeology)
- Corrine Harrison, Library Archive & Museum Services Administrator: Royal College of Physicians