UCL Careers is dedicated to providing support for UCL students, researchers, (staff and students), and to recent UCL graduates as outlined below.
When attending appointments / events or visiting UCL Careers, you will need to provide UCL ID:
- Current students on a degree or post graduate programme of study lasting at least one academic year, (including affiliate students), will need a current UCL student ID card. If you have lost this, please get a replacement card from UCL Security Services
- Researchers, (staff and students), with a valid UCL student or staff ID card have access to all services plus a bespoke Researchers' programme of activities
- Recent graduates who have completed a programme of study at UCL, (based on the course end date shown in PORTICO), have continued access to careers support for up to three years (for those graduating from 2019 onwards) to help with next steps after leaving UCL. Simply use your old student ID card during this period**
- Early leavers can be supported for up to three months should you unexpectedly leave UCL before completing your course. Please contact us if you would like to access this support.
UCL departmental staff* members who work closely with students on areas linked with employability will have a dedicated contact within UCL Careers who can help support your activities and ensure your students make the most out of the careers support available at UCL - please email us in the first instance so we can pass on your details to the relevant team member.
Recruiters or other organisations targeting the groups above should visit our recruiter pages for more information on how we can support your needs.
(*Note: Other UCL staff members, (non-academic/professional services), may have access to some careers support services provided by UCL Careers where appropriate / available but won't be able to book these online. Please contact us for information on what we can offer).
If you are looking for careers support but are not eligible to use UCL Careers, information on alternative services is available.
We also provide bespoke information for prospective UCL students.
UCL Careers Extra
UCL Careers Extra is a programme of additional activities and support for UK undergraduate students from the following groups who are currently studying at UCL:
- Neither parent went to university and you went to a UK state school
- Care leaver
- Household income below £25,000 (as declared to Student Finance England)
- Black African, Black Caribbean or mixed Black African/White or Black Caribbean/White
- Received an Access UCL offer
Students signed up to UCL Careers Extra are automatically added to a circulation list for targeted employer events and programmes. They can also apply for bursaries to help cover the cost of undertaking internships and can access preferential booking for some UCL Careers events, longer careers appointments (with easier booking) and extra careers events that are exclusive to UCL Careers Extra students.
**Alternative forms of ID
If you've left UCL and no longer have your old student ID, you will need some alternative proof of having studied at UCL within the last three years.
This will need to include details of the course you were on and the year that you completed it plus your old UPI ID code, (in the format of five letters and two numbers - e.g. UCLID38).
A copy of the PORTICO transcript that you received on completing your course will have this or you could request a formal letter from your old department with this information.
UCL alumni benefits card
This card does not confirm your course completion date so cannot be used to access any services offered by UCL Careers.