The LEAF programme
UCL’s LEAF programme helps improve the sustainability of your laboratory. Register your interest with Martin Farley (m.f. email@example.com). Martin can visit your lab to provide technical advice, and/or give a talk to the lab group on why sustainability is relevant in laboratories.Receive a copy of LEAF, which contains criteria on improving lab sustainability. Work through the criteria with support from Sustainable UCL. Optionally, you may use calculators to estimate the impact of your actions.
Submit your LEAF copy back to Sustainable UCL by May, and join an audit of another lab if you choose to in June.
Join our awards ceremony in July, spread the news of your success, and build on it next year!
Free sustainability resources available here and here!
Carbon offsetting for travel
- Wellcome Trust’s Carbon Offset policy for travel.
- Lobby your funding body for funds towards carbon offsetting by emailing your grant manager.
- Read about Gabriel Waksman’s personal journey to found a charity aiming to help academics and other travelers offset their carbon emissions.
- If you are organising a conference, consider creating a grove for participants to contribute trees to.
- Likewise, if you will be attending a conference, lobby your conference to create a grove where you will be able to offset your carbon emissions.
Free and used materials (including lab and office furniture) at UCL
- Toner recycling: Drop off toner cartridges in the box provided by Stores, Anatomy Building
- Battery disposal: Battery boxes are provided in the basement of the Anatomy Building (near Stores).