Fellowships Application Process
Our research fellows make vital contributions to the ISMB. They bring energy and prestige, novel and original research questions and approaches and new collaborative opportunities, as they widen or deepen our current research portfolio. At the ISMB, research fellows are supported by and embedded into a closely-knit network of colleagues.
What we offer
The ISMB offers substantial support for the preparation of your Fellowship applications and throughout their duration.
Fellows receive laboratory and office space, access to state-of-the-art equipment and expertise and access to research students from a range of 4-year PhD programmes. In addition, we provide bespoke mentoring and continued professional training; with the aim of guaranteeing the success of all Fellows. Importantly, we aim, wherever possible, to provide a longer-term commitment for our Fellows after the external funding has come to an end, subject to the successful appraisal and review towards the end of the Fellowship.
How to apply
The ISMB Fellowship Panel will review expressions of interest twice a year.
For informal enquiries, please contact Professor Finn Werner, Director of the ISMB (interim).
To apply, please email the following to Tabitha Owen with the subject header “ISMB Fellowship Applications”:
1) a short CV with names of referees;
2) a two-page research vision/draft fellowship application;
3) a cover letter explaining how your proposal is suitable for the fellowship scheme(s) you are interested in, a timeline for application(s), and how you see this research programme fitting into the ISMB.
Candidates are invited to apply at any time of the year but we have two specific deadline dates for when reviews will take place, and applications will be assessed at the nearest date that follows.
We ask candidates to apply to us 4 months in advance of their target Fellowship application deadline.
ISMB Panel deadlines for 2022 and 2023
4th October 2022
2nd February 2023
5th June 2023
2nd October 2023
Once applications have been assessed, selected candidates will be invited to spend a day at the ISMB. This will include giving a seminar at the Institute, engaging in short meetings with selected group leaders, and attending a 1-hour interview with the Fellowship Panel.
We are looking for
- A competitive, dynamic, original and innovative research vision
- Well-rounded colleagues with a well-developed sense of community spirit and citizenship
- We are strongly committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from candidates irrespective of gender, ethnicity or disability to create the best possible cultural diversity at the ISMB
We will assess
- Your research contributions and the scientific merit of your project
- The significance of the research and the feasibility of your proposal
- Your institutional ‘fit’, i.e. the mutual benefit and suitability of the ISMB’s environment for both your research and for the development of your independent career
We look forward to your application!