Dr Alessandro Cini
Genetics, Evolution & Environment
Div of Biosciences
- Joined UCL
- 1st Oct 2019
I'm an ethologist interested in animal sociality and communication. I mainly focused my research on social insects (paper wasps, hornets and honeybees) but I'm also curious in exploring different model organisms (such as invasive alien species, e.g. Drosophila suzukii, Rhynchophorous ferrugineus and Vespa velutina).
I also have research interests in Animal Conservation, especially using my knowledge and expertise in Animal behaviour to understand the challenges (and the potential solutions) that animals face for their survival. On this side, I'm working especially on butterfly biogeography and conservation.
"Social Insects in the Tropical Environments", International Master Course TROPIMUNDO, Course held for three years: 2014-2015; 2015-2016; 2017-2018, University of Florence
"Experimental Biology Laboratory", Master degree in Biology, as teaching assistant,Dept. Biology, 2011, University of Florence.
- 2019-ongoing. Research Fellow CBER-UCL
- 2017-2019. Marie Curie Reseach Fellow, CBER-UCL
- 2016-2017. Post-Doc position, University of Florence
- 2015-2016. Post -doc position, University of Florence
- 2014-2015. Post -doc position; CRA-Centro Ricerca per la Sperimentazione in Agricoltura, Florence
- 2012- 2014. Post doc position; Laboratoire Ecologie-Evolution at U.P.M.C., Paris
- 2011- 2012 Center for Research and Innovation, Fondazione E. Mach.
- 2008-2010. PhD "Ethology and Animal Ecology"; University of Florence
- 2008. Diploma di Licenza in Scienze Biologiche presso la Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa.
- 2007. Master's Degree in Neurobiology, honours summa cum laude, University of Pisa.