Our research combines molecular-genetic, biochemical, biophysical and engineering approaches to investigate various basic and applied aspects of algal biology.
Purton Lab - Algal Biology and Biotechnology
Current research includes:
- Developing the algal chloroplast as a platform for production of therapeutic proteins and novel metabolites
- Exploring the re-design and re-programming of the chloroplast genome using synthetic biology approaches
- Developing algae as low-cost, oral delivery systems for aquaculture and as bio-insecticides
- Understanding the regulation of organelle gene expression by nuclear-encoded factors
- Enhancing the nutritional content and palatability of edible cyanobacteria and algae