Biodiversity and the built environment
Maximising building design for biodiversity, University College London
My current research interest is in the areas of urban ecology, ecoacoustics, and citizen science.
In recent years I have worked on interdisciplinary research projects developing new tools and monitoring projects for wildlife at the local (Nature-Smart Cities) and national scales (British Bat Survey project). Previous to this, I spent five years as an Engineering Doctoral student in the Centre for Urban Sustainability & Resilience and CBER at UCL with Professor Helena Titheridge (research profile), Professor Kate Jones (lab website) and the Bat Conservation Trust.
I hold a Masters in Conservation Science from Imperial College London and a BSc in Environmental Management from the University of Birmingham. I have also worked in the built environment industry with the Green Collar sustainability consultancy advising on BREEAM and ISO14001.
UCL CEGE Engineering (July 2016). Keep It Civil - Biodiversity in the City - Listen to the Podcast on SoundCloudUCL TV (Nov 2015). Grant Museum otter: Little-known objects in UCL Museums and Collections Watch the video on UCL's YouTube Channel
1. Fairbrass, A.J., Firman, M., Williams, C., Brostow, G.J., Titheridge, H., Jones, K. (2018) ‘CityNet – Deep Learning Tools for Urban Ecoacoustic Assessment’, Methods Ecol. Evol.
2. Fairbrass, A.J., Rennett, P., Williams, C., Titheridge, H, Jones, K. (2017) ‘Biases of acoustic indices measuring biodiversity in urban areas’, Ecol. Indic., 83, 169-177
3. Fairbrass, A.J., Nuno, A., Bunnefeld, N., Milner-Gulland, E.J. (2015) ‘Investigating determinants of compliance with wildlife protection laws: bird persecution in Portugal’, Eur. J. Wildlife Res.
4. Hale, J.D., Fairbrass, A.J., Matthews, T.J., Davies, G., Sadler, J.P. (2015) ‘The ecological impact of city lighting scenarios: exploring gap crossing thresholds for urban bats’, Glob. Change Biol., 21(7): 2467-2478
5. Hale, J.D., Sadler, J.P., Fairbrass, A.J., Matthews, T.J. (2013) ‘Mapping lightscapes: spatial patterning of artificial lighting in an urban landscape’, PLoS One
6. Bates, A.J., Sadler, J.P., Fairbrass, A.J., Falk, S.J., Hale, J.D., Matthews, T.J. (2011) ‘Bee and Hoverfly Pollinators along an Urban-Rural Gradient’, PLoS One
7. Fairbrass, A.J., Jones, K., McIntosh, A., Yao, Z., Malki-Epshtein, L., Bell, S. (2018) ‘Green Infrastructure for London: A Review of the Evidence’ London: The Engineering Exchange.
8. Castel, E., Fairbrass, A.J., Blatchley, I, Cuthbertson, B. (2018) ‘Wildlife in London churchyards: awareness and reality, diversity and distribution’, British Wildlife, 30(1): 20-27