- Contact Us
- Staff Intranet
- Schools Outreach
- Public Engagement
- Support For Postdoctoral Researchers
- Short Courses
1st Year Students 2015
Will you be starting a new undergraduate course in UCL Biosciences this September?
For further information, including induction week timetables and joining instructions, please see our Undergraduate Induction Week webpages.
BSc Physiology (2nd Year Entry Only)
What is Physiology?
Physiology is the study of living organisms. This stretches from the
basic biochemical processes that drive the functions of individual
cells right through to the workings of the body's systems and how they
interact to produce a healthy living individual.
Physiology is also essential to understand how we survive and adapt to a vast array of different conditions and environments. Pregnancy, high altitude, deep sea diving, trekking across a desert, exercise or even making the transition from life in the womb to life outside all require major changes to our physiological state. Medicine requires an in depth understanding of physiology to understand the causes and effects of different disease processes.
- After completing the First year of BSc Biomedical Sciences, it is possible to transfer on to the BSc Physiology specialist degree. Please see our Biomedical Sciences page for further information on year 1 study.
- The Physiology BSc Programme is designed to provide a strong basic training in the cellular and systems physiology. In the first two years we aim to provide our students with a strong grasp of the main physiological systems. You will also study some cell biology and biochemistry as well as a number of options including genetics, chemistry, psychology, anatomy, developmental biology to name a few.
- In the third year our teaching is research-led and students will supplement their studies by reading original research papers and reviews published in the scientific literature. All final year students must undertake a laboratory or library research project in physiology. Please see the course outline below for further information on study in years 2 and 3.
- If you are currently a first year UCL Biomedical Sciences student and would like further information on the BSc Physiology degree please contact: Programme Tutor: Dr Ian Edwards, firstname.lastname@example.org, Programme Administrator: Anushka Magan, email@example.com, 0203 108 1034
Modules for Year 2
Plus a wide range of optional modules to total 4 course units
Modules for Year 3