Biosciences News and Events Publication
- Speak Up! The 2011 National Student Survey seeks your views
- NPP research featured in BBC's The Secret World of Pain
- GEE: Simple marine worms distantly related to humans
- NPP: Student awarded Bogue Research Fellowship
- Biosciences win three Wellcome Image Awards
- UCL voted best place for postdocs to work
- CDB: JZ Young Memorial Lecture, Friday March 18 - all welcome
- Biosciences wins three prizes in Graduate School Research Poster Competition
- NPP: Student wins Scientific Research Prize
- Opportunity for Outstanding Young Neuroscientist
- Sponsorship of Fellowship applications invited for Early Career Scientists
- Former UCL Biosciences PhD student wins most promising thesis award
- Annals of Human Genetics archive opened
- What do romantic love and appreciation of artistic beauty have in common?
- Prof Steve Jones elected to membership of the American Philosophical Society
- Crossing your arms 'relieves hand pain'
- Dr Julia Day gives an insight into her research on biodiversity
- UCL gains awards in a major new funding scheme
- UCL launches its open access repository
- Dr Samuel Lee's book, Motherhood in the 21st Century: A Stock Take, is now available
- The National Student Survey (NSS) website is now live
- UCL and Apple - 'A Class Partnership'
- Department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment appoints three new Professional Chairs
- Lab Techniques in Mammalian Cell Biology
- Multi-scale Biomolecular Modelling Lecture Series - May
- FRS for Gabriel Waksman and Steve Jones
- Walking with Gosse
- Innovation Awards
- Animal model of human evolution indicates thick hair mutation emerged 30,000 years ago
- Don't miss the Biosciences Module Fair - Wednesday 20th March
- The Sammy Lee Memorial Lecture at The Young Embryologist Meeting, 31 May 2013
- Obituary: Professor David Wilkie, born 6th August 1923, died 3rd March 2013
- Winners announced in Biosciences Poster Competition
- Green Impact Award for Biosciences (Darwin Building)
- New Student Hub opens in Anatomy Building
- Professor Bill Richardson elected Fellow of the Royal Society
- Employability skills video
- Alumni Event at London Zoo
- Will we ever be able to escape the diseases of old age?
- Cycling Ambassador Bike Days in July
- Provost opens new JBS Haldane Student Hub in Anatomy Building
- Two places available on the CPD course Lab Techniques in Mammalian Cell Biology
- Appointment of new Faculty Tutor
- Senior Academic and Research Promotions
- Prof Gabriel Waksman elected to German Academy of Sciences
- Faculty Research Day, 17 Sept 2013
- New Director of Division appointed
- Obituary: Prof Bastien Gomperts
- Weekly Neighbourhood meetings for Anatomy and MedSci & LMCB Building refurbishments
- UCL Biosciences Module Fair 2014
- SLMS Photography Competition: Photosynthesis
- Dr Nick Lane wins 2015 Biochemical Society Award
- Winners of the Biosciences Research Poster Competition
- Prof Claudio Stern elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Staff elected as EMBO members
- Biosciences staff win UCL Provost's Teaching Award 2014
- 2014 UCL Neuroscience Symposium - Thursday 19 June, 2014
- ISMB Symposium - 17 & 18 June, 2014
- Prof Steve Jones awarded the Stephen Jay Gould Prize
- Dr Helen Chatterjee awarded AHRC Grant
- Dr Garrett Hellenthal awarded BBSRC New Investigator Award
- Prof John O'Keefe wins Kavli Prize in Neuroscience
- A gene mutation for excessive alcohol drinking found
- Capillary pericytes regulate blood flow in the brain
- UCL Research IT services Annual Forum on Tuesday 17 June
- Volunteering opportunities with UCL Advances
- Judith Mank receives the ZSL Scientific Medal 2013
- 2014 Green Impact Award for Darwin Building
- FLS Research Day - 17 September 2014
- FLS Excellence in Teaching Awards 2014
- Dr Emmanuel Boucrot awarded a prestigious Lister Institute Research Prize
- Senior Academic, Research and Teaching Fellow Promotions 2013-14
- Obituary: Professor Barbara Banks
- PHOTO:Synthesis photography exhibition awards
- UCL Infection, Immunology and Inflammation Symposium 2014
- Professor John O'Keefe wins 2014 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine
- BBSRC DTP success!
- Division of Biosciences PhD Symposium, Wednesday 5 November
- Divisional Research Lectures 2014/15
- Professor Dame Linda Partridge recognised by BBSRC Anniversary Awards
- Research exchange meeting with the School of Pharmacy
- Professor Dame Linda Partridge to take part in the Nobel Week Dialogue
- Recipients of Bogue Fellowships Announced
- Applications for Bogue Fellowships are now open!
- Extra brain cells make males remember sex, UCL CDB researchers find
PHOTO:Synthesis photography exhibition awards
24 July 2014
The launch of the PHOTO:Synthesis photography exhibition was held in the Wilkinson North Cloisters on Tuesday 15 July.
Initiated by the School of Life and Medical Sciences, PHOTO:Synthesis was a photography competition open to staff and students from across UCL. The objective was to collect images reflecting academic life captured at a community level and to celebrate the vibrancy of our scientific endeavours. The quality of entrants far surpassed expectations, and the exhibition and launch showcased some of the top submissions.
At the launch reception, the top three photographs, as judged by a UCL panel, were announced. These are shown below (entrants retain copyright of the photographs that they submit). There were a good number of entries from the Division of Biosciences, so well done to those who entered.
Prizes were awarded by Prof Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences.
Next competition: This will be launched early next term. It will include categories for Women in Science and our built
environment, and like the previous competition, will be open to all staff and students across UCL.
All entries are on the SLMS Flickr.
'Silent dawn' by Mina Arsanious from the UCL Medical School
'Layer 5 pyramidal neurons' by Alex Moreau from the Faculty of Brain Sciences
'Human Feotus Week 9-12' by Simon Raphael Picker from the UCL Medical School
Page last modified on 24 jul 14 12:52