Principles of Fermentation Processes
Focusing on how to specify the process and the fundamentals for characterisation
This module will strengthen your knowledge of fermentation processes, and through a series of lectures, case studies and a pilot plant visit, will enable you to:
- Define different modes of fermentation and know their
- Develop a suitable medium and perform a material balance.
- Interpret fermentation data and use it effectively.
- Characterise the kinetics of cell growth and how they apply
- to different cell systems.
- Determine fermentation productivity and yields.
- Learn about new developments in fermentation technology
- (single use bioreactors)
- Develop a strategy for fermentation process development.
- Network with sector leaders and subject matter experts.
Emphasis is on teaching through interactive problem solving
case studies in small classes for effective learning.
Who should attend?
This module is suitable for scientists and engineers who wish to familiarise themselves with fermentation processes and those who wish to build underlying principles into their operational expertise in areas of:
• Process Development
- Evaluation of different expression systems
- How upstream can help ease overall processing
- Fermentation mass balancing I
- Biomass growth kinetics I
- Fermentation mass balancing II
- Biomass growth kinetics II
- Case Study: Growth kinetics
- Case Study: Mass balancing
- Introduction to animal cell culture
- Different modes of fermentation
- Rapid Bioprocess Development in a Synthetic Biology Company
- Case Study: Fermentation simulation
- Disposable bioreactor technologies: engineering characterisation
- and applications
- Case Study: Microbial media development
- Case Study: Control of substrate concentration during fed-batch
- Fermenter productivity and operating economics
Dr Frank Baganz - Module Leader
Prof Gary Lye
Dr Darren Nesbeth
Dr Farlan Veraitch
Previous Expert Speakers Include
Jim Mills, Abzena
Dan Cocoran, Applikon
A networking dinner will be held on the first evening.
For further information and bookings please contact:
T: +44 (0) 20 7679 9619 l +44 (0) 203 549 5619