Downstream Processing: Chromatography
Learn the most suitable purification operation for your process and find out about new technologies on the horizon
This module focuses on product purification and, through a series of lectures, case studies and a pilot plant session, will enable you to:
- Understand the principles of different methods of process chromatography, including Packed Bed, Monoliths, Expanded Bed.
- Select the appropriate media for, and predict the performance of, chromatography separations upon scale-up.
- Assess the suitability of affinity separation as a product purification operation and gain awareness of advances in rational ligand design for difficult separations.
- Determine appropriate strategies for the maintenance of column and process hygiene.
- Consider how chromatography is changing at industrial scale, and which new technologies will have an impact in the future.
- Network with sector leaders and subject matter experts.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for engineers, chemists, biologists, biochemists and biotechnologists who are interested in the biochemical engineering aspects of chromatography. Each concept and topic covered will be explained for the beginner - without assuming detailed prior knowledge.
Typically, delegates are:
R&D scientists, engineers or managers who need to learn more about scale-up, scaledown and operation of chromatographic methods in a production environment.
- Chromatography Fundamentals
- Models and Scale-Up
- Role of adsorption isotherms in chromatography
- Radial flow chromatography
- Pilot-Plant Studies: Chromatography
- Continuous chromatography in biopharmaceutical industries
- Design and manufacturing of chromatography resins
- Affinity separation
- Process-scale separations with monolith chromatography
- The challenges of large scale chromatography
- Process Hygiene and Column Maintenance
- Case Study: mAb-purification; issues in scaling-up to large process scale
- The use of chromatography membranes for the development and scale-up of biopharmaceutical processes. Case studies and new trends in the use of membrane adsorbers
- Micro scale-down technologies for high throughput development of chromatographic separations
- Digital design of chromatographic bioseparations
- Scale-down and process economics for packed bed bioprocesses
- Nanofibres as flexible, single use alternate to traditionaL chromatography
- Mixed mode chromatography – understanding interactions and
- developing purifications
- Design of biomimetics for affinity separations
- Case Study: Where and When to Apply Chromatography?
- Where Will Further Improvements in Chromatography Come From?
Prof Daniel Bracewell - Module Leader
Prof Ajoy Velayudhan
Previous Expert Speakers Include
Jon Baker - GE Healthcare
Edward Close - PSE
Bo Forsberg - CMC Biologics A/S
Patrick Gurgel - ProMetic Biosciences
Pim Hermans, Thermofisher Scientific
Tom Hutchinson, GE
Hans Johansson - Purolite
David Johnson - Pall Corporation
Iwan Roberts - Puridify
Martin Smyth - Sartorius-Stedim
Ajoy Velayudhan - UCL
Carsten Voss - Bio-Rad Laboratories GmbH
For further information and bookings please contact:
T: +44 (0) 20 7679 9619 l +44 (0) 203 549 5619