Bioprocess Facility Design
24-27 June 2019
Focusing on how to take a process from a paper design to a fully-operational facility
This module focuses on how to take a process from a paper design to fully-operational facility, and will enable you to:
- Design a plant layout considering the relevant regulatory requirements.
- Understand the impact of facility design requirements on costs.
- Determine a project schedule including phases, installation, commissioning and validation.
- Accurately interpret engineering drawings used in design.
- Prepare a safety and environmental review to define risks, hazards and safety strategy.
- Understand the role of contractors, work with them more effectively and analyse their proposals.
- Network with sector leaders and subject matter experts.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for engineers, chemists, biologists, biochemists and biotechnologists who are interested in facility design for bioprocesses. Each concept and topic covered will be explained for the beginner - an example case study is followed through the sequence of steps followed when performing facility design, the example selected is drawn from the previous “Bioprocess Design & Economic Evaluation” course.
Typically, delegates are: R&D scientists, engineers or managers who need to learn more about the typical steps which constitute the preliminary design process in conjunction with the “Bioprocess Design & Economic Evaluation” course.
• The life-cycle of an engineering project
• Case Study: The design remit
• Facility design in practice
• Case study: HAZOP
• Introduction to plant layout & design
• Opportunities that modularization might provide
• Case Study: Plant design and layout
• Biological safety and containment
• Facility layout tour
• HAZOPs in Bioprocessing
• An industrial case study of installation & commissioning
• Validation is Good Manufacturing Practice
• Preparing a biologics license application (BLA) and surviving an
• Case Study: Analysis of project from regulatory and safety
• Managing changes/sensitivity analyses
• Design project presentations to a panel of senior industrialists and discussion forum
UCL Expert Speaker
Daniel Bracewell - Module Leader
Previous Expert Speakers
Scott Barclay, Pfizer
Andrew Besso, eXmoor pharma
Nigel Fletcher, Foster Wheeler
David Gervais, Porton Biopharma Ltd
Thorsten Kimmel, Genentech
Nic Murrell, Lonza
Roy Okec, Contracting Engineer
Andrew Provan, eXmoor Pharma Concepts
Andrew Sinclair, Biopharm Services
For further information and bookings please contact:
T: +44 (0) 20 7679 9619 l +44 (0) 203 549 5619