Bioprocess Design & Economic Evaluation
Focusing on how to specify the process and how to determine its economic feasibility
4-7 June 2018
The module focuses on how to specify a complex bioprocess and determine its economic feasibility. It will:
- Specify a major item of process equipment.
- Interpret engineering drawings used in equipment procurement.
- Perform economic analyses of the process and determine sensitivities to process changes.
- Achieve value for money in complex engineering projects.
- Recommend a process that is technically feasible and economically viable.
- Determine the types of data needed to specify unit operations and processes.
- Develop process flowsheets and mass balances.
- Network with sector leaders and subject matter experts.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for engineers, chemists, biologists, biochemists and biotechnologists who are interested in process design for the manufacture of biological products. Each concept and topic covered will be explained for the beginner - an example case study is followed through the bioprocess design procedure to allow an economic appraisal of the design to be performed. This learning is carried forward to the following “Bioprocess Facility Design” course which examines the next stage of a bioprocess design.
Typically, delegates are: R&D scientists, engineers or managers who need to learn more about the typical steps which constitute the preliminary design process in conjuction with the “Bioprocess Facility Design” course.
• Anthrax vaccines through the ages
• Influenza: current and future generation vaccines
• Case study: development of preliminary flowsheets
• Defining the end product specification
• Rapid mass balance and scale up estimates
• Case study: process mass balance
• Introduction to cost estimation
• Case study: industrial cost estimation including analysis of hidden costs
• User requirements specifications in bioprocessing
• Case study: user requirement specification
• Design of process operation & control
• Case study: piping & instruments diagram
• Case study: process operation
• Case study: Sensitivity analysis, process costings and process changes
• Design project presentations to a panel of senior industrialists
Prof Daniel Bracewell - Module Leader
Prof Suzanne Farid
Previous Expert Speakers Include
Yuki Abe, Biopharm Services
George Bou-Habib, MMS Ag Membrane Systems
Chris Davis, Jacobs
Andy Hooker, Ipsen Bioinnovation
Vaughan Thomas, Tillingbourne Consulting
A social networking event will be held for delegates and speakers
For further information and bookings please contact:
T: +44 (0) 20 7679 9619 l +44 (0) 203 549 5619