Sign up to the Transcribe Bentham newsletter to keep up to date with the latest Bentham-related news!
- Dr Tim Causer has been featured in the Adelaide Advertiser, where he discusses his research on Bentham's ideas on New South Wales. Dr Causer will speak on this subject at the Adelaide Festival of Ideas on 13 July.
- The central collection of Bentham's manuscripts, held at UCL Special Collections and The British Library, have now been completely digitised! Read more about the achievement on UCL news or the Transcribe Bentham blog.
- Volunteers working on the Transcribe Bentham initiative have now transcribed more than 20,000 pages of Bentham's writings. This is a monumental achievement and we owe a huge thanks to our volunteers!
- The programmes for the 'Bentham on Real and Fictitious Entities: New Perspectives' workshop on 7 May 2018, and the 'A New Bentham? Classical Utilitarianism After the Bentham Project's Critical Editions of Bentham's Writings' workshop on 10 May 2018, both to be held at LUISS Carlo Guidi in Rome, are now available.
- Read a new article in the Journal of Legal History, by the Bentham Project's Chris Riley, entitled 'Jeremy Bentham and Equity: The Court of Chancery, Lord Eldon, and the Dispatch Court Plan'.
- Watch the Director of the Bentham Project, Professor Philip Schofield, take part in the 2018 Putney Debates, which addressed the constitutional challenges currently facing the United Kingdom.
- Transcribe Bentham is starting a newsletter! Sign up now to hear how we are progressing in the mammoth task of transcribing Bentham's papers. Expect discoveries made by volunteers and Bentham-related news and events. Sign up!
- Dr Tim Causer's book, Memorandoms by James Martin: An Astonishing Escape from Early New South Wales - based on a manuscript in UCL's Bentham Papers - was reviewed in The Weekend Australian of 6-7 January 2018 (£).
- We are delighted to announce that the Bentham Project is hosting a two-day event entitled 'Reviving Bentham's Theory of Evidence | An Anglo-French symposium' on 12-13 April 2018 at Bentham House, Faculty of Laws, University College London. The symposium will discuss Bentham's extensive writings on judicial evidence and procedure. Our plenary speaker is Emeritus Quain Professor of Jurisprudence William Twining. You can register to attend the symposium at the Eventbrite page.
- Bentham and the Arts is a new seminar series that will launch in January 2018. It will consider Bentham's complex arguments on culture, taste, and utility. The series is co-convened by: Anthony Julius (UCL); Malcolm Quinn (UAL); Philip Schofield (UCL).
- What happened at the Bentham Hackathon? Read a report on the Transcribe Bentham blog which describes the creative digital research tools that participants were able to develop over the course of a weekend.
- For the first time in decades, Bentham's real head is going on display in a new exhibition at UCL. What does it mean to be human? Curating heads at UCL opens on 2 October 2017.
- Call for papers open for the next ISUS conference! The 2018 conference of the International Society for Utilitarian Studies will take place on 24-26 July at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. The conference theme is 'Utility, Progress and Technology'. The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 2 February 2018.
See previous news and events in our archive.