All Arts and Sciences BASc degree students are supported by the dedicated BASc Internships & Vacancies Team at UCL Careers if they wish to undertake an internship in the summer after their second year. Undertaking an internship is strongly encouraged because the experience will help you develop important work-related skills, enable you to build your network and market yourself to prospective employers, and add to the richness of research for academic modules in your final year. The internship could be full or part-time but will need to be taken outside of the timetabled course requirements and students will need to comply with any relevant visa regulations.
If you are keen to source an internship outside of the UK, you are welcome to do this through your own contacts/research, as the BASc Internships & Vacancies Team will be focusing on sourcing UK internships for you. However, we can support you when you are making international applications and the Global Internships Programme at UCL Careers offers additional support.
" The BASc internship team was of immense help and helped me greatly in securing an internship. I am very grateful for all of their help and for advertising the offers that I would not otherwise have been aware of, especially those in the heritage and arts sector. I particularly liked that there were so many start-ups and SME's involved, and the great variety of roles advertised. The BASc is very lucky and privileged to benefit from this outstanding and committed service. (BASc student 2016)
The support has always been extremely professional, competent, helpful, and kind, you have been extraordinarily patient and supportive even when I was panicking. Your advice on CV editing and cover letter writing has been invaluable, and I have no doubt it will not only help me during my period at UCL, but in life in general. Honestly, your help has been amazing, and I feel like it has played a major part in my achievements. (BASc student 2017)
The support available:
- The Team will schedule bookable one-to-one appointments throughout the academic year.
- The Team will be approaching employers on behalf of BASc students to source Exclusive BASc Internships in line with your areas of interest.
- You can search the myUCLCareers portal, which is available to all UCL students. Here you can find internships and schemes where the Careers service have sourced opportunities exclusively for UCL students.
- This dedicated BASc Internships Moodle page with loads of information and resources to help you with the process of searching for, applying for and securing an internship
- You will be encouraged to engage with the range of support available at UCL Careers from CV checking to Careers Guidance, practice interviews, events, workshops and much more
- The Team will send a regular BASc Internships Newsletters including advice, exclusive internships and events for BASc students
- BASc Internships: Y2 & Study Abroad Y3s and in your final year BASc Internships: Finalists & Graduates. The Team will post new Internship opportunities and relevant information
- BASc Alumni to help build your network of connections with fellow students and employers
- You will be given advice and support to make sure that any internship you undertake is a safe and useful experience.
If you have any queries about doing an internship, please contact the BASc Internships & Vacancies Team at email@example.com
Watch Natalie Flintoff, the BASc Internships and Vacancies Officer, talk about the exclusive support she offers to BASc students.