Browse selected journal articles written by the UCL Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose (IIPP) academics.
- Deleidi, M. and Mazzucato, M. (2020). Directed innovation policies and the supermultiplier: An empirical assessment of mission-oriented policies in the US economy. Research Policy, Volume 50, Issue 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2020.104151
- Laplane, A. and Mazzucato, M. (2020). 'Socializing the risks and rewards of public investments: Economic, policy, and legal issues'. Research Policy, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.repolx.2020.100008
- Mazzucato, M., Kattel, R. and Ryan-Collins, J. (2020). 'Challenge-Driven Innovation Policy: Towards a New Policy Toolkit'. Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, 20, pp. 421-437.
- Andreoni, A. and Tregenna, F. (2020). 'Escaping the middle-income technology trap: A comparative analysis of industrial policies in China, Brazil and South Africa'. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 54, pp. 324-340.
- Deleidi, M., Mazzucato, M. and G. Semieniuk (2020). 'Neither crowding in nor out: Public direct investment mobilising private investment into renewable electricity projects'. Energy Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.111195
- Chang, H.-J. and Andreoni, A. (2020). 'Industrial Policy in the 21st Century'. Development and Change, Volume 51, 2, pp. 324-351.
- Deleidi, M. and Mazzucato, M. (2019) Putting Austerity to Bed: Technical Progress, Aggregate Demand and the Supermultiplier, Review of Political Economy, 31:3, 315-335, DOI: 10.1080/09538259.2019.1687146
- Sachs, J.D, Schmidt-Traub, G., Mazzucato, M., Messner, D, Nakicenovic, and N., Rockström, J. (2019) 'Six Transformations to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals', Nature Sustainability, 2, pp. 805-814.
- Kattel, R., Lember, V. and Tõnurist, P. (2019) 'Collaborative Innovation and Human-Machine Networks', Public Management Review, https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2019.1645873
- Andreoni, A. and Chang, H.-J. (2019) 'The Political Economy of Industrial Policy: Structural Interdependencies, policy alignment and conflict management', Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 48, pp. 136-150.
- Andreoni, A., Chang, H-J and Scazzieri, R. (2019) 'Industrial Policy in Context: building blocks for an integrated and comparative political economy agenda', Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 48, pp. 1-6.
- Swenson, G. and Roll, K. (2019) ‘Theorizing Risk and Research: Methodological Constraints and Their Consequences', PS: Political Science & Politics, 53 (2), pp. 286-291.
- Ryan-Collins, J. (2019) 'Breaking the housing-finance cycle: macroeconomic policy reforms for more affordable homes', Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space, https://doi.org/10.1177/0308518X19862811
- Lember, V., Kattel, R., & Tõnurist, P. (2018). Technological capacity in the public sector: the case of Estonia. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 84(2), 214–230. https://doi.org/10.1177/002085231773516
- Mazzucato, M. (2018) 'Mission Oriented Innovation Policy: Challenges and Opportunities', Industrial and Corporate Change, 27 (5), pp. 803–815.
- Robinson, D. K., and Mazzucato, M. (2018) 'The evolution of mission-oriented policies: Exploring changing market creating policies in the US and European space sector', Research Policy, 48 (4), pp. 936-948.
- Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G (2018) 'Financing renewable energy: who is financing what and why it matters', Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 127, pp. 8-22.
- Kattel, R. and Mazzucato, M. (2018) 'Mission-oriented innovation policy and dynamic capabilities in the public sector', Industrial and Corporate Change, 27 (5), pp. 787-801.
- Andreoni, A. (2018) 'The Architecture and Dynamics of Industrial Ecosystems: Diversification and Innovative Industrial Renewal in Emilia Romagna', Cambridge Journal of Economics, 42 (6), pp. 1613–1642.
- Andreoni, A. and Chang, H.-J. (2018) 'Bringing production and employment back into development: Alice Amsden’s legacy for a New Developmentalist agenda', Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 10 (1), pp. 173-187.
- Roll, K. (2018) ‘Street Level Bureaucrats and Post-conflict Policy-making: Corruption, Correctives, and the Rise of Veterans’ Pensions in Timor-Leste’, Civil Wars, 20 (2), pp. 262-285.
- Campiglio, E., Dafermos, Y., Monnin, P., Ryan-Collins, J., Schotten, G., & Tanaka, M. (2018) 'Climate change challenges for central banks and financial regulators', Nature Climate Change, 8 (6), pp. 462-468.
- Roll, K. and Swenson, G. (2018) 'Fieldwork after conflict: contextualising the challenges of access and data quality', Disasters, 43 (2), pp. 240-260.
- Mazzucato, M. and Robinson, D. (2017) 'Co-creating and directing innovation ecosystems: NASA’s approach to public-private partnerships in low-Earth orbit', Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 136, pp. 166-177.
- Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G. (2017) 'Public financing of innovation: new questions', Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 33 (1), pp. 24–48.
- Tõnurist, P., Kattel, R. amd Lember, V. (2017) 'Innovation labs in the public sector: what they are and what they do?', Public Management Review, 19 (10), pp. 1455-1479.
- Andreoni, A., Frattini, F. and Prodi, G. (2017) 'Structural Cycles and Industrial Policy Alignment: The private-public nexus in the Emilian packaging valley', Cambridge Journal of Economics, 41 (3), pp. 881-904.
- Ryan-Collins, J. (2017) 'Breaking the taboo: a history of monetary financing in Canada, 1930-1975', The British Journal of Sociology, 68 (4), pp. 643-669