The Place Alliance brings people together who share a belief that the quality of the built environment – the places in which we live, work and play – has a profound influence on our lives.
We believe that through collaboration we can create and maintain better places. To this end, Place Alliance supporters share knowledge and support each other to demand and realise buildings, streets and spaces that enhance the quality of life for all.
Together we aim to:
- Inspire and raise aspirations for places
- Support dialogue and collaboration to improve place quality
- Build and share evidence, knowledge and resources
- Influence policy, practice and behaviour to achieve better place quality
- Be open and accessible to all interested individuals and organisations
Our vision is:
- That place quality has a value that is recognised by all
- That the quality of buildings, streets, and spaces is always given a high priority by those who have the power to shape them
- That national and local government recognises the vital contribution of the quality of place to the economic, social and cultural life of the nation and to achieving environmental sustainability
- That the professionals responsible for making and managing places, work constructively together and with local communities to shape high quality local environments.
Place quality refers to the recognisable and desirable qualities that the most successful parts of our villages, towns and cities share:
|friendly||open, cherished and characterful|
|fair||inclusive, healthy and low impact|
|flourishing||adaptable, dynamic and diverse|
|fun||vibrant, playful and stimulating|
|free||safe, accessible and democratic|
Read a note about our Governance arrangements:
We have also published our first Annual Review - 2015: