The Affiliate Academic scheme is for academics from overseas who wish to spend a period of time at UCL.
You can pursue your own research, either individually or in association with members of UCL staff for at least four weeks, but no longer than a year.
For further information, please contact Jackie Nelson.
To be eligible you will:
- hold an established academic post overseas in an institution of higher education, or be in industry or business
- have an academic sponsor in the Bartlett School of Planning (BSP). You should write their name on the form and include a short statement of support from them
- have an adequate standard of spoken and written English. If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of either substantial education or work experience in English, or a recently obtained acceptable English language qualification or test result.
How to apply
Before you apply you need to make contact with a member of BSP academic staff, to find an academic sponsor.
Forms and Guidelines
Apply by email by the deadline to Jackie Nelson, including:
- the application form (download above)
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae
- a brief statement of your proposed research, including how it fits into the BSP’s research
- a statement of support from your academic sponsor
There are two deadlines each year for applications: 1st April and 1st November.
The committee will meet after the deadline, and you’ll be informed of the result by email. If successful, Human Resources will send a formal invitation letter 2 weeks later.
The Affiliate Academic to BSP will have borrowing rights to UCL libraries, a UCL ID card, an IT account and a small office space on a ‘hot desk’ basis. Since car parking space at UCL is very limited, parking spaces are unavailable.
All Affiliate Academics within the BSP will give a seminar presentation to staff and students during their visit.
Academic affiliates are charged a pro rata fee. For 2015/16 this fee was £4,635 (for 12 months), and it increases by about 5% each year.
Invoice for payment will be issued shortly after arrival – please mark clearly on the form whether you will meet the costs yourself or provide the full details, including address, of the Sponsoring Body meeting the costs.