Dr Sonia Arbaci Sallazzaro
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 23rd Sep 2003
European comparative studies and interdisciplinary studies has been my research interest for several years, with a particular attention to (Southern) European cities. My research foci on ethnic residential segregation and immigration sit between a broader understanding of the different European housing systems and welfare regimes, and the impact of urban policies and regeneration programmes in relation to mechanisms of differentiation, and inequality.
My interest in urban processes spans across continents, and ranges from the production of the built environment to urban and social changes (e.g. social and spatial mobility, ethnic desegregation, gentrification, etc.), and with a critical look at social mixing, tenure mixing policies, and anti-concentration programmes.
Between 2012 and 2014 I have developed a two year research project on ‘’DiverCities: Neighbourhood interventions, and social and ethnic mix: the tackling of urban inequalities’’ funded by the Marie Curie Programme (FP7 – PEOPLE Intra-European fellowship). The research was hosted at the Dept. of Political and Social Science, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona.
I have been collaborating with
- Complutense University of Madrid and University of Barcelona in the COMPORED project on Changes in residential patterns and housing provision in large Spanish cities (project funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation, Spain),
- Institut d' Urbanisme de Paris and Complutense University of Madrid on a comparative research on local housing policies in six European capitals,
- Cities & Migration Working Group (UCL Grand Challenges),
- London Borough of Redbridge on a research on mixed tenure neighbourhoods in London,
- Autonomous University of Barcelona on a research on social inequality and urban regeneration in Barcelona city-centre.
I am teaching at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level at the Bartlett:
ENVS2010 – Planning Project: Plan Making
BENVGPLG – International Planning Project
BENVGHD3 – Critical Debates in Housing Development
- University College London
- PhD, Planning studies | 2007
- Politecnico di Milano
- MArch, Architecture | 1995
I am a Senior Lecturer in Spatial Planning at the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London and my career spans the field of education and professional practices.
I have a wide appreciation of planning, housing, social and urban issues, having worked for both public and private sector as a chartered practitioner Architect and city Planner in Italy, Spain, Portugal, UK and USA (NY), and having researched and taught in several European countries.